autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should I do?! Need new car advice!

Run from the dealer's offer. If you read the warranty you will probably see that regular "maintenance" by the dealer is required to keep the warranty in effect. This usually translates into more $$$ for the "maintenance." You are not far from Louisville, KY. From this site, see if you can find additional pro detailers in the Louisville metro area.

Oh, welcome to AutoGeek and congrats on the new car. Hope you enjoy both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newcar17 View Post
    Hi everyone, first post. Glad to be here!

My wife and I bought our first new car last week.

We are loving the car but we were offered a product when we signed the papers called Simoniz glasscoat. It is a paint protector type product that protects against bird droppings, tree sap, UV rays etc etc.

We didn't buy it yet but they have come down from $500 initially to $399. This comes with a lifetime warranty that supposedly says anything that happens to the exterior or interior will be repaired, painted etc.

I talked to the person that would be applying it and they would be washing the car, then using a claybar rag to get any contaminants off, then applying the glasscoat. They apply it in a separate building where all the dealer does is clean up work, so it's not applied by a mechanic in the shop. Sounds legit but they said I couldn't watch them apply it due to Insurance reasons (customers can't be in there because floors are wet). He said it takes about 2 hours to apply to the exterior and interior.

I know you are basically paying for the "warranty". I know no product can last forever.

As another option I've found a reputable local detailer that does detail work for allot of the high end dealers in the city. He looked at the car and said if it were his car he would clay bar it and apply meguiars mirror glaze synthetic sealant. The full exterior detail job would be $275. He recommended repeating this process twice a year. This car will be mostly garaged. He said since it will not be out in the elements too much I could probably stretch it to repeating the process once per year.

Something he does for his customers is he also gives you the products needed to take care of the car between detail jobs. The meguiars car wash product, good towels, good micro fiber mit etc, no charge.

So, I am needing advice as to what to do?

I had never heard of a paint protectant or sealer until last week since I'd always bought used cars. I've never been the best about washing, waxing etc.

Would you go with the reputable dealer simoniz product for $400 with lifetime warranty or with reputable local detailer for $275 and free supplies?

Also, should I even mess with doing this during the winter months or should I wait until early spring to do it?

Thanks everyone
    if you aren't going to want to wash and wax the car yourself then i would go with the lifetime warranty, but what does that mean exactly? will the dealer repair swirls and scratches?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't get it. Most people I know who opted for whatever manufacturer's "paint seal" (names differ) notice within a year that it's gone and they have zero protection on their car.
    My advice is look around on here at your different options of paint cleaning and protection and keep up with it yourself.

And congrats on the new car!
    Pics are always good
    what about the lifetime warranty though?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone, you all are giving me confidence! I would enjoy doing this myself and learning. If I can save the $275 to the detailer I would rather do that. I'm in Kentucky, pretty close to Lagrange.
    ill be honest with you, if you start doing this thing yourself you can end up spending a lot of money on it, im like three grand in the hole since i bought my car last year but now i know how to do everything

Post Thanks / Like

If you really are going to wash the car yourself might as well just buy Carpro Hydro2 lite some soap and a mitt or bucket and a couple good drying towels. Just deal with the stuff yourself

Many average car owners are gun ho about washing there new car and it fades really quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! As several have said skip the dealer offer. I would go with the pro Detailer for the first time if you are wanting some quick protection while you are learning to care for your car. You can also find out if your chosen detailer is a member of the IDA. Not all detailers are members and you don't have to be, but this does add credibility if they have the certifications.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everybody, awesome forum. I've done a little more digging on the simoniz glasscoat product. Does this sound right?

I was told by Simoniz (not the dealer) that the glasscoat is a ceramic based product, not a wax, and that it would never wear off, so that's why they have a lifetime warranty. The requirements for the lifetime warranty are that you should wash your car regularly and wax it 2-3 times per year, but they can never prove whether or not you've actually done any of those things (although they should be able to tell based on how the car looks)

They actually told me that you'd have to wet sand (I think that's what she called it) the car to get the glasscoat off. She said it's like putting another layer of clear coat on the car.

So, if what she said is accurate, would that be a good thing or a bad thing? I guess good if it was applied correctly, and very bad if it was applied incorrectly since you may never get it off the car.

I think I'm still leaning toward just going with the local detailer (doesn't look like they are a member of the IDA-but there aren't any IDA members near where I live), and paying the $275 and have him show me some stuff, and learn from this website.

I've never been good about taking the time to wash/wax my vehicles, but then again I've always driven older used cars. I'm almost afraid if I did something like Glasscoat that I might end up putting off washing or waxing because I've got another layer of protection on there, or at least that's what I'd tell myself if I didn't want to go outside to wash/wax it!

Post Thanks / Like

It is a ceramic coating, but again, it's all about the prep! I would not allow the dealer to touch the car! There are plenty of other Ceramic coatings you can buy and apply yourself that will perform equal too or better and that way you can ensure the paint is properly prepped. I would still highly suggest you read the fine print of the warranty yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everybody, awesome forum. I've done a little more digging on the simoniz glasscoat product. Does this sound right?

I was told by Simoniz (not the dealer) that the glasscoat is a ceramic based product, not a wax, and that it would never wear off, so that's why they have a lifetime warranty. The requirements for the lifetime warranty are that you should wash your car regularly and wax it 2-3 times per year, but they can never prove whether or not you've actually done any of those things (although they should be able to tell based on how the car looks)

They actually told me that you'd have to wet sand (I think that's what she called it) the car to get the glasscoat off. She said it's like putting another layer of clear coat on the car.

So, if what she said is accurate, would that be a good thing or a bad thing? I guess good if it was applied correctly, and very bad if it was applied incorrectly since you may never get it off the car.

I think I'm still leaning toward just going with the local detailer (doesn't look like they are a member of the IDA-but there aren't any IDA members near where I live), and paying the $275 and have him show me some stuff, and learn from this website.

I've never been good about taking the time to wash/wax my vehicles, but then again I've always driven older used cars. I'm almost afraid if I did something like Glasscoat that I might end up putting off washing or waxing because I've got another layer of protection on there, or at least that's what I'd tell myself if I didn't want to go outside to wash/wax it!
    No coating will last for ever. Maximum maybe 6 years if its garaged. I call poop on that idea from her.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome OP!

I would take the $400 and spend it here without a doubt, you'll get a better product and great way to bond with the new ride!!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast