autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Be Kind - I'm Stressed Enough

Quote Originally Posted by Every_detail View Post
    Hey man. Where you in central Maine? I'm in Sidney, need a hand or anything let me know.
    Thanks. I will. Belgrade Lakes area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ** Clean cars go faster!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with etnops on the WGTSR. That's good stuff and just might be all you need.

My suggestion was based on the chance that you find the M105 cuts better and does more work for you on the swirls and scratches. If that's the case, I have always found the need to refine a little more cus of what it leaves to clean up and brighten after. The old standby in the Meg's lineup is M205 after 105 but I like Megs Ultimate Polish a little better. My all time favorite after 105 is Menzerna 3500.

Again, let's hope the Wolfgang gets you what you want. Just for giggles and snickers, try a test of WGTSR on a white or black pad after the orange passes. Just to see if you can refine a little more gloss out of it. Get back to us and let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Pjstockford;1459923]Thanks. I will. Belgrade Lakes area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M100 would work great. I used m105 and a megs MF on my black cc and left it almost LSP ready. 105 just dusts too much for my liking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etnops View Post
    Wolfgang TSR should work quite well on that paint. My carbon grey 2015 GTI responded well to TSR. Finished down LSP ready, using an orange Hybrid Lake Country pad and a 3401. Just work the TSR thru the buffing cycle...at least 5 section passes, with the last pass or two at light(er) pressure.
    If you get haze, switch to a white polishing pad. If that doesn't work, complete another buffing cycle (2 step) with some Meguiars Ultimate Polish - which can be purchased locally.
    I'd bet the TSR on an orange pad will do just fine, though.
    Best of luck.

etnops pretty much nails it here I think, at least thats what I would go with if thats what I had at hand. Yay for a GTi, share some pictures with us when you're done yeah? Have fun.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Central Maine? Hope you're working inside, pj!

Your process looks sound. Like with all of us though, you can read & read & read some more, but nothing takes the place of actually doing it.

What you will find though, is that you'll have the hang of it in no time.

Good luck, brother.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I say, your paint does have damage, but I would start with a less aggressive compound than 105. When correcting paint, the object is to take as little off as possible to get the desired result. Will the 105 do the job? Most likely. Would a less abrasive compound work? Possibly. Enter test spot. If you take your time, error on the side of caution and focus, then all will be well. Two other things, it's only paint and have fun. You got this.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

I will say you have come to a great place; this is a friendly and helpful forum. I, like many here, was once in your shoes. I am now doing this regularly on customer cars lol.

Just to reiterate what some have said already: If you can get the job with Total Swirl Remover on a orange pad great! Ideally but especially if you do anything more aggressive and being your first time you will want to follow up with a finishing polish. If you are in a bind and determined to do this tomorrow, run to Walmart and grab some Meguiars Ultimate Polish. It is a similar consumer version of M205 (M105 two step companion).

Also M105 from what I hear isn't easy to work with for novices. Not to scare you or anything as such. But I do feel it is a good segway to ask how many pads are you going with? How many you think is enough, often leaves us in hindsight thinking "I should have bought more". Small section passes especially in compounding. Total Swirl Remover has a long working time, take advantage of that. ... This may help keep you away from using M105 and help make Total Swirl Remover an acceptable one step.

PM if you feel uncomfortable still. If I am free tomorrow I'll be happy to guide you through any frustrations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etnops View Post
    Wolfgang TSR should work quite well on that paint. My carbon grey 2015 GTI responded well to TSR. Finished down LSP ready, using an orange Hybrid Lake Country pad and a 3401. Just work the TSR thru the buffing cycle...at least 5 section passes, with the last pass or two at light(er) pressure.
    If you get haze, switch to a white polishing pad. If that doesn't work, complete another buffing cycle (2 step) with some Meguiars Ultimate Polish - which can be purchased locally.
    I'd bet the TSR on an orange pad will do just fine, though.
    Best of luck.
    Thank you, etnops! You have eased some stress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ** Clean cars go faster!

Post Thanks / Like

When doing the test spot, why not try the white pad with TSR first? If that doesn't work, then bump up to orange. I'm not as experienced as most of these guys-- Just thinking about the "least abrasive first" mantra. On the slim chance that white does work, you may avoid having to do a two step (and save paint in the process). On my DD, I don't chase 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

etnops pretty much nails it here I think, at least thats what I would go with if thats what I had at hand. Yay for a GTi, share some pictures with us when you're done yeah? Have fun.

Aaryn NZ.
    Definitely will post up some pics! Hopefully successful pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ** Clean cars go faster!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast