autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Splatters

Post Thanks / Like

Question Paint Splatters

My wife's vehicle has what appears to be some paint splatters. It looks like she drove over a pubddle of paint and it splashed up on the car. It is located on the lower panel behind the front tire. I suspect it is latex paint, but not positive.

Any recommendations on how to safely remove it without damage to the car's paint surface?

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    It would help to know if it is water based paint etc. However using mineral spirits (paint thinner) would remove the "klingons"

Just saturate a rag or even better an old wax applicator and hold it over the area. Allow it to soak for a min. or so then rub the surface gently. Let the chemical do the work, using light pressure from you.

After the paint is removed inspect your cars paint system. It shout be fine, but you will need to reapply any wax and/or sealant to the area due to the paint thinner will remove anything you had there.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want some more ideas, having over 8 years experience doing body work, I can give you some more ways to remove the paint. However they will require a bit more work. The thinner should do the trick though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkride101
    It would help to know if it is water based paint etc. However using mineral spirits (paint thinner) would remove the "klingons"

Just saturate a rag or even better an old wax applicator and hold it over the area. Allow it to soak for a min. or so then rub the surface gently. Let the chemical do the work, using light pressure from you.

After the paint is removed inspect your cars paint system. It shout be fine, but you will need to reapply any wax and/or sealant to the area due to the paint thinner will remove anything you had there.

Good call from another body man......

Post Thanks / Like
    clay .... or polish if necessary.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice! I plan to wash, clay, polish & wax the car this weekend so I want to get the splatters off first! Here is a picture of the paint splatters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Splatters-paintsplatter-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Yuck! Hopefully the advice given works!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know everyone has been checking this thread to see if I got the paint splatters off

twinkride101 AND BILL! were right! Paint thinner did the trick. Took a lot of elbow grease too but it all came off! I am fortunate to have the paint thinner on hand and a pair of chemical gloves (don't want to mess up my nails ).
    Last edited by Reddwarf; 07-02-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you rewax/seal it? Or are you saving that for a later date?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf
    I know everyone has been checking this thread to see if I got the paint splatters off

twinkride101 was right! Paint thinner did the trick. Took a lot of elbow grease too but it all came off! I am fortunate to have the paint thinner on hand and a pair of chemical gloves (don't want to mess up my nails ).

Dont forget POST#4 Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast