autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post wax maintenance

Ok, I'm wondering how you get are getting away with waxing every 5 or so months... How are you preventing the sun from baking in the dust and pollen? After I wax (meguiars gold class carnauba) I get about 2 weeks before the dirt that's baked onto the won't come off with a california duster. Are you guys using quicker detailer to wash your car for the next 5 months or what?? lol. I'm lost.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post wax maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by buddiiee View Post
    Ok, I'm wondering how you get are getting away with waxing every 5 or so months... How are you preventing the sun from baking in the dust and pollen? After I wax (meguiars gold class carnauba) I get about 2 weeks before the dirt that's baked onto the won't come off with a california duster. Are you guys using quicker detailer to wash your car for the next 5 months or what?? lol. I'm lost.
    Megs GCC is a quality wax. When I wax my truck, I use the liquid version of the above. When my truck gets dusty or dirty from rain water I either do a two bucket wash or rinseless wash. For dust repelling, I found that Hydro Blue keeps my truck dust free for longer periods than wax

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A California duster isn't meant for dirt removal. Those are meant for light dust removal like that which accumulates in a garage on a parked vehicle over the course of a few days. I still wouldn't use one of those for even *that* amount of dust as I don't like the idea of using them. Simply wash the car weekly with the method of your choosing whether that's the 2 bucket traditional method, waterless, or rinseless for "maintenance." That Meg's Gold glass may or may not hold up 5 months no matter what depending on the conditions your vehicle experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

hydro blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Um...huh? Most of us wash our car between waxing with...a car wash of some kind. A weekly wash is a good way to keep dust and pollen from getting "baked in".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Um...huh? Most of us wash our car between waxing with...a car wash of some kind. A weekly wash is a good way to keep dust and pollen from getting "baked in".
    My wax must really blow then lol, because I can guarantee you there's no wax left on my car after I wash it. When I wash I usually use a one bucket method with a grit guard and a micro fiber mitt, w/ Maguiars deep crystal car wash solution and a big water filter on the hose, and I rinse my mitt every time I'm done with a panel. I never blast the paint straight up, nor do I use high pressure as well (even though I have a filter, I still never "pressure wash" if you will, my car's paint.)
    For maintenance (my car's always garaged except when at work) I take a big soft microfiber and towel off any pollen or road dust. If it's too much I'll use some quick detailer. If it's too much for that to handle I'll rewash the car, but then I have to wax it again lol.
    I'm trying to figure out (I know natural carnauba is deeper gloss but less durability than synthetic waxes but I ran out last year & am stuck using my hot rods wax lol) why people go through such a long painful process of iron x'ing, claying, washing, cutting, polishing, cleansing, glazing, two coats of wax, and then constantly spraying detailer on their cars when the first day they take it out of the garage a layer of road grime/dust will coat the entire car, then the sun will bake it on during the 8 hours your car's in your work's parking lot, leaving you right back where you started 50 painful hours earlier lol. This dust/grime most of the time just doesn't california dust right off; the crap got baked into the paint by the sun and now you have to wash the car all over again lol. I'm trying to guess that I'm using the wrong wax...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to figure out (I know natural carnauba is deeper gloss but less durability than synthetic waxes but I ran out last year & am stuck using my hot rods wax lol) why people go through such a long painful process of iron x'ing, claying, washing, cutting, polishing, cleansing, glazing, two coats of wax, and then constantly spraying detailer on their cars when the first day they take it out of the garage a layer of road grime/dust will coat the entire car, then the sun will bake it on during the 8 hours your car's in your work's parking lot, leaving you right back where you started 50 painful hours earlier lol. This dust/grime most of the time just doesn't california dust right off; the crap got baked into the paint by the sun and now you have to wash the car all over again lol. I'm trying to guess that I'm using the wrong wax...
    Well for one thing, if you go through all the steps you mention, you're car won't accumulate much dirt or dust, well it will, but its easier to get off and won't "bake in" as you say. Also, people do that because well, its the proper method and way. No offense but based off how you describe you wash your car it sounds torched. just rubbing a dry microfiber towel, or a duster on weeks of dirt isn't going to do a damn thing, you're just raking crap all over your car. i have had even the crappiest of waxes last months, because i machine polished the surface prior, i didn't just use a hose, one wash mitt and a bucket like you then slap wax on. if youre going to do the job, do it right. You seem to want short cuts, you won't find that amongst the enthusiasts here. And honestly, its not your "wax" your wax is fine, its your entire preparation process that makes your wax suck.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

What makes you think that one wash is removing your wax? And on a basic level, wax doesn't keep your car clean, washing is what keeps your car clean, although a fresh coat of wax can make it easier to wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to guess that I'm using the wrong wax...
    I personally believe you'll have better
    results (longevity, less stickiness, etc.)
    by using Sealants, instead of a Wax,
    for your vehicle's protection product.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Well for one thing, if you go through all the steps you mention, you're car won't accumulate much dirt or dust, well it will, but its easier to get off and won't "bake in" as you say. Also, people do that because well, its the proper method and way. No offense but based off how you describe you wash your car it sounds torched. just rubbing a dry microfiber towel, or a duster on weeks of dirt isn't going to do a damn thing, you're just raking crap all over your car. i have had even the crappiest of waxes last months, because i machine polished the surface prior, i didn't just use a hose, one wash mitt and a bucket like you then slap wax on. if youre going to do the job, do it right. You seem to want short cuts, you won't find that amongst the enthusiasts here. And honestly, its not your "wax" your wax is fine, its your entire preparation process that makes your wax suck.
    On my brand new car which had a great paint job (2013 chrysler 200s) I clayed it and waxed it and it was soo slick it was stupid. I'm not about shortcuts whatsoever. Not in the least, and I didn't mean I used a microfiber or duster on weeks of dirt. I meant days of dust. That's why I said "I take a big soft microfiber and towel off any pollen or road dust. If it's too much I'll use some quick detailer. If it's too much for that to handle I'll rewash the car." I probably didn't explain it the best but I know how much dust/debris is too much for a microfiber dusting. I'll use a quick detailer when necessary, or I'll rewash the car, but what I'm saying is that even with SUPER slick paint, and the wax over it, that dust you guys think won't collect, collects. AND it doesn't just dust off-its on there. You have to re-wash the car. But after I wash it, I can rub my hand over the paint and it's as if I've NEVER clayed it. Of course after a few weeks it's not AS bad as before the initial clay but it's still enough to tell you your claying was for absolutely nothing lol. I'm SE Michigan if that helps at all. I'm trying to figure out if it's my environment, or the wax. Because it doesn't seem as if others have the same problems I have lol.

You must believe me when I tell you it's unbelievable to me when I read statements like "you should clay your car once a year, or bi-annually." I LOL at that every time. In SE Michigan it's every other weekend and your car feels as if a clay bar has never touched it. I'm not exaggerating. I think I'm going to try a second water filter and rinse bucket for my washes now to see if that helps with preserving the wax job. Maybe that'll help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast