autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Safest way to remove primer overspray off of rubber trim?

Hey guys I had my contact at a bodyshop hook me up with repainting my quarter panel and some rear sections of my car for pretty much no cost and I am happy with the work since it was a reputable shop.

However the guy that painted and prepped the car half assed some of it and left primer overspray on the rear glass and some on the side glass of the car. There's lots of overspray on the gloss black window trim and the rubber seals that run along the rear and side windows. It's an automotive gray primer and I have dark tints so it's super visible. There's tons of overspray.
    I tried using all the solvents we have at the shop but it's going to need some clay bar to get it off all the hard surfaces (glass and painted trim).

How do I remove the primer overspray off the rubber seals? I am worried that using a clay bar on those will stain the material and leave clay bar transfer marks that will be difficult or not possible to remove.

I am not going to go back and complain since it was a side job and my buddy was already informed his employee goofed by not masking everything properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safest way to remove primer overspray off of rubber trim?

That's gonna be a challenge on the rubber part.what kind of car may have to repaint that rubber part.If that was presented to me I would try to blast it off using pw at 200 psi.Chemical guys black clay bar is very effective removing paint on rubber.Cant give any chemical info cause the car isn't in front of me.Try the clay bar and a lot of soap keep it wet all the time while rubbing and don't kill it with pressure.Take a piece the size of your finger and work it.If you have to paint for a oem look wurth satin paint.

Post Thanks / Like

You might first try mineral spirits, or naptha first. Mask effected rubber first. Then re-treat with a product like Wolfgang WETS. You might get it off since it is fairly fresh. Others might suggest some other newfangled product, goo gone, etc which might be better, so don't take my advice as gospel, but the main theme I would think would be to use the least aggressive methods before resorting to an angle grinder! :-)

As for the rest of the vehicle, glass, hard trim, Claying should do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical guys clay bar isn't sold here anymore,may have to get it from them directly.

Post Thanks / Like

Try graffiti removal at Home Depot forgot about that pretty good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I would check wiith the shop and ask what they use (they know what works for their paint system).

Explain you are happy with the service they provided, just want to use the right stuff.

Most likely will be paint thinner followed by a rubber sealant (tire dressings work surprisingly well for this).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I am a former production painter and currently run a collision shop. Lacquer thinner to clean the overspray off the rubber is your best bet. Just follow up with a dressing or sealant. On the gloss black window trim, i would do a test spot with clay first and then if that doesn't work, try some compound, and if that doesn't work try lacquer thinner. On the glass, you can scrape it off with window cleaner or detail spray and a fresh razor blade.

Post Thanks / Like

Lacquer thinner on rubber is a no no.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Lacquer thinner on rubber is a no no.
    After spending many years as a painter and many years as someone who had to clean up the messes left behind by other painters, lacquer thinner never hurt a single rubber seal or weatherstrippping.

During much of my time as a technician I had the unfortunate task of cleaning/removing an over abundance of overspray from painters/preppers not adequately taping/masking, and cleaning it from areas where it had no right being in the first place.

Should you always test in an inconspicuous area first to make sure there is no reaction? Yes! Should you follow up with something to treat/seal/condition those seals/weatherstrips afterwords? Absolutely!

Post Thanks / Like

Paint thinner will remove paint from rubber tires with no problems if you clean off the thinner immediately after. You might test an inconspicuous spot on the seals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast