autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When watching "high end" detailing videos....

I NEVER see a Flex 3401 being used; always a Rupes. Interesting. I just ordered a Rupes MK II 15, so I will have both.
    '03 Corvette Z06

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When watching "high end" detailing videos....

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I NEVER see a Flex 3401 being used; always a Rupes. Interesting. I just ordered a Rupes MK II 15, so I will have both.
    Because the Rupes MKII's:

finish better,
    correct better,
    are smoother,
    quieter,
    run cooler,
    more comfortable,

And are seen as the more precision, scalpel like, passionate, finesse, making art, premium, professional tool. Its only when you own all the tools you realise how far Rupes have shifted the goal posts with the MKII's it makes everything else seem caveman and outdated in comparison. My Ferrari,Range Rover, Porsche customer themselves insist nothing touch their paint apart from Rupes, this just goes to show the justified perception the brand has carved out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Because the Rupes MKII's:

finish better,
    correct better,
    are smoother,
    quieter,
    run cooler,
    more comfortable,

And are seen as the more precision, scalpel like, passionate, finesse, making art, premium, professional tool. Its only when you own all the tools you realise how far Rupes have shifted the goal posts with the MKII's it makes everything else seem caveman and outdated in comparison. My Ferrari,Range Rover, Porsche customer themselves insist nothing touch their paint apart from Rupes, this just goes to show the justified perception the brand has carved out.
    I think your points are solid.

Some refer to the 3401 as a BEAST. While it might be, the times I've used a MF pad on a long throw polisher, it will out cut any pad used on the 3401. Of course, good technique is needed, too.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Renny Doyle still uses a Flex I believe. Detail Boss in Arizona does high end work and uses a 3401.
    Mike P does high end work and uses 3401.

But majority by far is large throw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post
    Renny Doyle still uses a Flex I believe. Detail Boss in Arizona does high end work and uses a 3401.
    Mike P does high end work and uses 3401.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post

But majority by far is large throw.
    This is true as well.
    '03 Corvette Z06

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Some refer to the 3401 as a BEAST. While it might be, the times I've used a MF pad on a long throw polisher, it will out cut any pad used on the 3401. Of course, good technique is needed, too.
    It was a Beast back in the day when only a PC was the other alternative as far as DA's are concerned. The Flex still has a place as it has almost indestructible build quality and is very entertaining to use. But after a panel you realise its carburetor technology while the rest of the world has moved to direct injection multivalve turbo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    It was a Beast back in the day when only a PC was the other alternative as far as DA's are concerned. The Flex still has a place as it has almost indestructible build quality and is very entertaining to use. But after a panel you realise its carburetor technology while the rest of the world has moved to direct injection multivalve turbo.
    Good stuff.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Some refer to the 3401 as a BEAST.
    I'm the guy that coined that nickname. It started when I needed way to sign my FLEX how-to book.

I sign all my books differently. Wouldn't make sense to sign them all the same.

I have way of signing my boat book, which shows both the FLEX 3401 and the RUPES tools. And I have a way of signing my RUPES book.

I also signed my first book "The Art of Detailing" differently than I sign the second version "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine".

That's the part of where the nickname the BEAST came from. The other part is unlike free spinning orbital polishers, with a FLEX 3401 you can POWER through a detail faster than free spinning tools because the pad simply will not stop rotating or oscillating, that's two things by the way.

Fee spinning tools all work great on flat panels, but have a tendency to stall or lose pad rotation when you get into curves or close to edges. That's just the nature of the beast... or better said, the nature of free spinning tools.

The benefits Zubair listed are the trade off for zero stalling of pad rotating and pad oscillation.

Different strokes for different folks. (no pun intended)

While it might be, the times I've used a MF pad on a long throw polisher, it will out cut any pad used on the 3401. Of course, good technique is needed, too.
    You mean out cut any pad used on the FLEX 3401 on a flat surface or ALL surfaces?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly,different strokes for different folks as Mike mentioned. I like having all the tools as it takes away from the monotony when you detail daily. What gets to me is Flex's masterpiece the PE-14 doesn't get much mention or credit around here. That is one ridiculously underrated polisher that needs more credit. I can't find good enough words to praise the PE-14 its really that good! Its the machine once you use it you will only then realise how did you ever live without it.

If you doing this professionally a PE-14 and a Rupes MKII is the best detailing combo on the planet currently, both made my life so much easier and have paid for themselves in speed of correction and smoothness.

Mike Phillips

Just for the recored...

Since Mark brought up the nickname of the FLEX 3401, here's how I sign each book....

Make it shine!

Keep on shining!

The FLEX 3401 is a BEAST

Master the Beast!

RUPES

The Ferrari of polishers!

Stay on the dry side and have fun on the water!

Everyone has an opinion on how to use these tools or detail cars and boats.... try writing your opinion down in a book and then put it out there on the market for world review sometime...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast