autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone "Spit Shine" Carnauba?

A pro detailer buddy asked me to try a different hybrid carnauba wax so I decided to put a coat on my wife's black cross-over. He also suggested I spit-shine the first layer for increased shine.
    "A good technique is to buff the wax with a 100% cotton micro fiber cloth and then spritz the paintwork with cold distilled water and wipe down, this helps to set the wax and will add that little extra gloss."
    Where have I been! It works! Did a panel or two as per product instructions, and other panels I spit-shined. The spit-shine made a big difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone "Spit Shine" Carnauba?-spitshine2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone "Spit Shine" Carnauba?

in the very early autopia days (before pbmg owned it) there were some who did this practice but not so much anymore/at all...

Post Thanks / Like

Sure have...
    but not exactly by following
    the below technique to a "T".

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jowillie View Post
    "A good technique is to buff the wax
    with a 100% cotton micro fiber cloth
    and then spritz the paintwork with cold
    distilled water and wipe down..."
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Where the heck do you get a cotton microfiber cloth?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Sure have...
    but not exactly by following
    the below technique to a "T".

Bob
    So, someone sent this info:

What you are doing is dissolving the solvents so that it doesn't remove the previous layer. One of the very important nuances of layering is to use very little applied pressure and friction when applying subsequent layers as they will have a negative impact on wax thickness Usually a spit shined surface is slicker, smoother, and has different beading characteristics; with even smaller tighter water beads. The durability is about the same (or slightly better) and although spit shining is very time consuming, the improved depth of shine and glossy appearance is worth it

Usually, a wax with a high solvent content will remove the previous layer, so use a Carnauba that is not formulated with a high solvent content (Pinnacle Souverän) A solvent will have the potential to strip subsequent layers, but remember that you are not applying neat solvent to the last layer - but a wax and solvent blend. So it is only a fraction of its original strength and won't strip the wax layer like neat solvent. One of the very important nuances of layering is to use very little applied pressure and friction when applying subsequent layers as they will have a negative impact on wax thickness

Using a damp applicator and cold (almost ice) distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle neutralizes any solvents in the newly applied layer; the water should be cold, using ice cold water after applying a wax will harden the wax quicker making the shine deeper and help the new wax adhere to the finish, working until the water/ wax solution disappears.The reason for using a damp applicator is to neutralize the solvents as much as possible, and to avoid the thin coats of wax sticking to the applicator, this enables the wax to build thin, fine coats. Spray fine mists of cold (almost ice) distilled water to a single panel and then apply a light Carnauba wax to the paint surface.

Always apply extremely thin layers using a very light pressure when spit shining, Wipe it onto a small work area and continue wiping until most of the wax disappears. Mist lightly as needed, keeping a few water droplets on the surface. Move to the next work area and repeat. After you do the final area you’ll have a surface with many spots of hazed wax. Lightly mist an area with the very cold distilled water - 1/2 hood or door - and lightly buff with a MF towel. Turn the towel frequently, when the towel becomes too damp switch to a new towel.

When you spray very cold water on a Carnauba wax layer that has been allowed to outgas (i.e. the solvents that make up its carrier system have evaporated) it reduces the wax surface temperature to the point that the next applied waxes carrier solvents do not dilute the previously applied wax and it forms a semi-hard coat.

Allow each subsequent Carnauba waxes solvents to outgas before applying more layers. Spit shining allows definitive layers, as opposed to a thick coat of wax that would result if the solvents dissolve the wax layer that they are applied to.

After 24 hours you can repeat the procedure, using cold (almost ice) distilled water and Pinnacle Crystal Mist (a low solvent quick detail (QD) each coat applied will increase the surface depth of shine with five or six coats being optimal

Use a low-solvent wax (Victoria Concours Wax, Souverän or P21S) Some wax products use an emulsion to keep more liquid without adding solvents which, in high concentrations could remove the underlying wax too rapidly to allow the "melting" together of the wax" strata.

Also:

Spit shining is used for ‘layering’ Organic wax (although in this case the 'spit' used is cold distilled water) to produce a ‘depth of shine’ providing you take the necessary precautions to prevent the solvents both re-liquefying and removing the previous wax layers.

What you are doing is dissolving the solvents so that it doesn't remove the previous layer. One of the very important nuances of layering is to use very little applied pressure and friction when applying subsequent layers as they will have a negative impact on wax thickness Usually a spit shined surface is slicker, smoother, and has different beading characteristics; with even smaller tighter water beads.

The durability is about the same (or slightly better) and although spit shining is very time consuming, the improved depth of shine and glossy appearance is worth it.

Thanks Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do that.

Back when Zymol Auto Polish was sold in those fancy plastic displays they recommended doing that. I actually still have a jar and bottle of that product unopened...

That stuff never lasted long, no matter what I did. It sure did smell fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

These are my favorite 100% Cotton
    microfiber towels...a Ghost from
    Christmas Past
    gift from "The Good Wife".

Upon my receipt of Nick's Beta sample
    (D114's successor)...I might use those
    Cotton towels as part of my review.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I used to do that.

Back when Zymol Auto Polish was sold...
    Man are you dating yourself with this blast from the past. Haven't read about Zymol for ages but remember that container - light blue if I'm not wrong. Didn't they have something in a white bottle too? I think PepBoys & Wally World carried the stuff for a long time & sold it for top dollar.

Post Thanks / Like

There a several people over on Autopia(including me)who do one version or another of 'spit shining'

Head on over and check it out! Sorry I'm too lazy to write it all out lol
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

I'm too lazy to head on over without a link...

Sent from my iPhone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast