autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoses, hoses and more hoses!

One of our basic tools is water hoses. Those of us that take pains to insure our car looks good at all times can not get by without hoses. I know due to water rationing and people that live in complexes that forbid car washing have to use other methods such as rinseless and waterless wash but these are the exceptions. As much as we rely on hoses we don't often talk about them at the forum.

I have found the 50' Sears Craftsman black hose on a wheel cart to be the best hose for washing my car. It is heavy duty but not overly heavy in weight. It also resists kinking although it is not kink free (I have not found a hose truly "kink free" although I tried a couple advertised as such).

Newer technology in hoses is moving towards expandable hoses. These are much lighter in weight, easier to store and are naturally kink free. The draw backs I have read are that they often burst if water pressure is high, wear down quickly when used on concrete or black top drive ways and do not provide sufficient water pressure for use with power washing equipment. I don't know if any of these drawbacks are widespread or even true but that is what some folks have noted at review sites.

I am thinking of trying out this kind of hose for the first time and would like to know if anyone here has had experience with expandable hoses as their primary hose for washing cars. What have been your observations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hoses, hoses and more hoses!

My mom loves them due to there light weight, my concern is durability.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Durability, if not the bigger factor, water pressure (aka, flow)

Post Thanks / Like

Another issue with the expandable hose is when you spray with it , it starts shrinking back to smaller size . This causes it to pull against you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marknett View Post
    Another issue with the expandable hose is when you spray with it , it starts shrinking back to smaller size . This causes it to pull against you.
    Yea, that makes sense. I never thought of that one. That might not bother you watering a plant but I can see it as a big problem with washing a car.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Griots hose, best I've had in 18 years!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I bought the Griots hose, best I've had in 18 years!
    How much was it?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Hoses, hoses and more hoses!

I'm looking at the Griots catalog now... $80-$125 hose. Man.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Got it at the A site for I think 69?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    One of our basic tools is water hoses. Those of us that take pains to insure our car looks good at all times can not get by without hoses. I know due to water rationing and people that live in complexes that forbid car washing have to use other methods such as rinseless and waterless wash but these are the exceptions. As much as we rely on hoses we don't often talk about them at the forum.

I have found the 50' Sears Craftsman black hose on a wheel cart to be the best hose for washing my car. It is heavy duty but not overly heavy in weight. It also resists kinking although it is not kink free (I have not found a hose truly "kink free" although I tried a couple advertised as such).

Newer technology in hoses is moving towards expandable hoses. These are much lighter in weight, easier to store and are naturally kink free. The draw backs I have read are that they often burst if water pressure is high, wear down quickly when used on concrete or black top drive ways and do not provide sufficient water pressure for use with power washing equipment. I don't know if any of these drawbacks are widespread or even true but that is what some folks have noted at review sites.

I am thinking of trying out this kind of hose for the first time and would like to know if anyone here has had experience with expandable hoses as their primary hose for washing cars. What have been your observations?
    Bought one a year ago to water trees and rinse my pool area lasted one month the coupler was leaking.maybe they have improved it since then.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast