autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hoses, hoses and more hoses!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    I got the 3/4 inch hose too. I bought two fifty foot hoses at HomeDepot and keep them rolled up on two wheeled rollers.

They are soo much stiffer than smaller hoses that I don't get any kinking. But they are very heavy. Even when being rolled from location to location.
    ya i wanted one for a while because i thought the extra volume would me my pressure washer run better but now im thinking it was a waste of money, i didnt even bother setting it up today because its not worth the extra hassle, maybe it will be useful someday

Post Thanks / Like

Check out and industrial supply place that does stuff for machinery. I just made a 25' red hose with male connectors on each end. Have a hot and cold mix in the garage and just enough hose to make out of the garage to attach to the power washer. Wife wasn't impressed with the 60.00 for the 25' but it's already saved money from not having to do a rinse at the coin car wash.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

First time posting in a long time. Time to step in and help people... save their time and their hard earned money. Do some searching and you'll find this topic comes up every so often. So, once again I'll offer my experience with hoses.

Years ago, spent some time working in an extremely large greenhouse/growing operation. They used 2 brands. Craftsmen and Swann. Both are good. Both will last a long time even with cracking while still not bursting under pressure. Only one will leave you hands clean in the long run. I learned from that and bought the hoses the greenhouse founder recommended most. If they'll stand up to constant contace with fertilizer water, sometime lying in it for houses on end, and stand up to all day every day sun (read as constant UV exposure even on cloudy days), all while keeping your hands free from the colors of the hose in use, then that's the hose I want.

Sixteen (16) years ago my dad bought a black Craftsmen hose for washing cars inside the garage. Still works great, but horribly sheds black rubber onto your hands even though it looks like new and is wiped down often. Kept inside all that time mind you. The red Craftsman hoses that the greenhouse/grower used, as well as the few Craftsman black hoses they used, will in just a few short years begin to leave a residue onto your hands. That's my experience as well as the experience of the growing operators. It's one reason the grower did not really recommend them even though typical hose life is quite long.

Nearly twenty (20) years ago I bought 1-50' hose, and 2-100' hoses. They've been outside in the weather from day one ever since I bought them, one on a hose reel, the others lying on the ground on top of the mulch snaking their way around the house. They're not cracked, and they don't leave any green residue on my hands at all...even to this very day. No sir, you couldn't talk me into using any other hose except one...

...Swann Soft and Supple. Worth every penny and then some. Seems Lowes quit carrying them, but they are still available.

SWANN Soft and Supple... Made in the U.S.A. ... and that right there is worth the price of admission.

Heavy-Duty Hoses
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

@Hoytman. Does it kink easily? So it's soft like soft rubber hose soft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the reviews on Flexzilla on amazon and some complained it was difficult to coil. The other hose with good reviews was the Stanley FatMax.

My criteria is easy to coil, flexible at all temperatures, minimum kinking as it ages, and anti-kink features at bib connection, not heavy (rules out rubber) and durable good sealing fittings (not easily crushed). Price is secondary.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

If that is your criteria thane Griots fits that!

Post Thanks / Like

My personal experience with hoses kinking can be attributed to two (2) things; quality of the hose and more importantly hose management.

I've found a lot of hoses to kink if managed wrong, including Craftsmen hoses (to a lesser degree), so-called kink-less hoses, and to a lesser degree also...the hoses I recommend most. If you managed them wrong they'll all kink. What do I mean by that? Using a car washing example, if you find yourself kinking your hoses often, or needing more hose, then learn from that...take notice of what's causing the issues. Pull more hose ahead of time. A good quality hose usually will not kink anyway as long as you pull extra length because it's not under tension.

Do the Swan Soft and Supple hoses kink? Very rarely if managed correctly. I keep my hose on a reel and before I wash a car I pull plenty of hose. Even if it mean walking down the street a bit. As stated earlier my other Swann hoses lay outside (in shade when not in use) stretched out 24/7/365...so, they too don't get a chance to kink. They also weather a bit differently than the hose on the reel and over time they coil better and better...talking about hoses left lying on the ground. They hold a nice coil when new, but they get better over time. They also get smoother...slicker...as the years roll by.

As far as the feel, they're not rubbery feeling like a Craftsmen, but soft to the hands. A good grip, but not a traction type (rubbery) grip like you get with a Craftsman hose.

Kinking...
    Any hose will kink, but these won't kink like a cheapo hose from the local hardware or mart store...not even close.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Used the Sears hoses for years, but they are heavy, the black comes off on your hands and they tend to get twisted if you're not careful. My wife tried one of the better expandable hoses (with the brass fittings) out on the patio--lasted just one summer.

Picked up one of the 50' Zero G hoses at Lowes when they had them on sale for $30 and I love it for car washing--very light, doesn't get twisted and doesn't shrink as soon as you turn off the water--really easy to move around the car. After about 9 months it still looks good as new so seems to be sturdy enough--has a 5-year warranty. But, I still use the Sears hoses for work out in the yard where they get the most abuse.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zero-G-5-8-...Hose/999972996
    I've been using the Zero-G for the last year or so....LOVE THEM!!! I have 4 total and are still like new. I never had a regular expandable last more than 4 months.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a 50' Flexzilla... Should be here in 2 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I ordered a 50' Flexzilla... Should be here in 2 days.

I think you did well.

I can speak to hose quality more than a lot of guys. Why? At my marina with almost 150 slips, EVERY single boater has a hose. I use most of them all summer. If I make a footprint while servicing the boat, it gets rinsed. If I make any greasy prints coming out of an engine compartment (even on an old POS boat) it gets washed.

What I can say is this: The Swann & Flexilla hoses are great. Yes, you have to drain & coil them, but the hoses are first rate. And Hoytman is dead-on about the Craftsman hose. Good hose EXCEPT it mars everything it touches. Rubs off on hands, pants, boats, cars, you name it.

And to anyone thinking of getting one of the self-retracting/expanding hoses? Save your money.
    Boaters are stubborn & cheap by nature. I've seen them use a regular hose for years w/ it leaking all over the dock, them, running down their arm, what have you.

These same people have used a shrinking hose for a week or two and thrown it in our dumpster.

Total junk.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast