autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckee's 37 Paint Coating, revisited

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    what about the gloss enhancing properties of a quick detailer or waterless wash? i assume they would do the same? im glad im not a huge beading guy because i like all of those products lol
    The life of a quick detailer is short lived unless it is one that is meant to leave protection behind. A typical non-protection QD will only alter the surface tension but again that is short lived and usually gone after a wash or two. Tested this myself with various QD's that leave nothing behind. Same can be said for a waterless wash or rinseless wash. At least that is my two cents. Not saying I am right but rather just experience from using many products.

Sometimes we tend to overthink things rather than just enjoy using the products.

Post Thanks / Like

Mckee's 37 Paint Coating, revisited

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    not saying im right, but that looks like a lot more polish then i usually put on. do you think im using to little? its easier for me to wipe off when i only use a little. by "a little" i mean about half that, u think i should be using more and is it different depending on what you're using?

also just curious how many cars you have?
    That's a coating prep polish in the pic. It has zero abrasives, so the quantity of polish used isn't really a big deal, other than wasting product and a lot of polish to wipe off.

If it was a polish with abrasives, that would be way too much to use, generally speaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Eldorado, can you check the sheeting for us the next time you use D114 and nothing else. I get that it's beading. I'm curious how it sheets one any toppers have been removed. Maybe go strong on the D114.
    Ok so here's how it went...

I did just like you asked, D114@1:128 [tad bit over]

1 gallon in the bucket

Washing my Cadillac, so no willy nilly stuff going on... 2 microfiber towels to rinseless wash my car to ensure no swirls are instilled...

Don't worry, I've thought about everything... Didn't use the Big Blue to dry as it's "contaminated" with Wolfgang Uber.. Used a fresh clean Cobra to dry.

Good wipedown...

Used both sides to give it an extra cleaning... Then dried.

.... These pics are gonna suck, but...

Trust me, it's sheeting. It's actually sheeting better than I thought it'd be.

The hood is nearly dry after sheeting.. Could there be a bit of Ech2o/Reload still on the paint? Possibly, but it's doing pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Last night I did a waterless wash and a baggie test... Paint was rough. This is what it looked like after just a small area on the trunk lid.

Small area on the hood showed a similar amount of bonded contaminants..

So in my experience here, the beading knocks off considerably within a couple of months and returns only when boosted with a spray product such as Carpro Ech20/Reload, but that beading soon wears off once again.

There's a small chance that these bonded contaminants were due to having used the mixture of Ech2o/Reload over the Mckee's Paint Coating several weeks ago [because IME Reload is among the worst protecting sealants I've ever used] but either ways the beading from the coating is lackluster. Combine all that with the fact that I saw no difference in appearance after having applied the coating, I'll be moving on to the next product.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try the little bottle of cquartz I gave you? I am curious if the same would happen with any coating given the location you are in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Did you try the little bottle of cquartz I gave you? I am curious if the same would happen with any coating given the location you are in.
    I have yet to try that sample you gave me, my friend.

Btw, on the vertical panels of my car, which are protected with a sealant [that shall remain unnamed] there were absolutely no contaminants when I clayed those panels last night.

Sent from my iPhone

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456