autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reason I won't use a coating again

Agree with all of the above. I guess, as stated in my original post, I am surprised at how quickly they are developing. A coating should help reduce wash induced scratches and swirls so if I only get that out of it I will stick with it the more I think about this.

I regularly see customer vehicles where they have paid high dollars for dealership coatings guaranteed for 5 years plus. Only to see these iron deposits a year later.

I know there is no magic pill as I stated. Again, I just did not expect to see this this early. I will show some pictures below. Paint was immaculate prior to application, and properly decontaminated.

I figured with regular maintenance washes in winter, and then applying a coating boost, things would be different.

Post Thanks / Like

Me personally like it as a upsell for more $$$.If a customer wants me to promise them the world for promblem free great looking paint all the time,I avoid that situation don't need a complaint.coatings on wheels are great cause we all know wheels are a pita to clean.coating on a boat is the real deal as far as long term durability test.I have no promblem companies trying to up the improvement of better products.845 every 3 months should cover your promblem simply a great product without all the fuss and work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    A coating should help reduce wash induced scratches and swirls so if I only get that out of it I will stick with it the more I think about this.
    Believe it or not this really isn't a major benefit despite what many coatings will claim and what people tend to believe. Coatings will develop swirls and scratches in about the same fashion as an uncoated car if proper care is not used when cleaning them.

The major benefits are the chemical resistance, durability, thickness (relative to waxes and sealants), and ease of maintenance due to the ability to resist dirt and contamination better than traditional waxes and sealants.

I understand you were hoping that iron deposits would no longer be visible, but let's be realistic... you've got a white car (clean blank canvas) so any contrasting particle will be visible. Regardless of how tiny it may be. As I mentioned previously in this thread, there is no product on the market that will prevent "stuff" from landing and sticking to the surface of your vehicle (coated or not). This is the reason that CarPro, for instance, lists IronX as a necessary maintenance item for keeping your coated vehicle clean. Optimum has their version of iron remover, GTechniq has their version of iron remover, etc.

As you know... lower maintenance does not mean maintenance free. If the tiny specs bother you, white was a poor color choice for your OCD. Perhaps a more vibrant color or a darker grey would better suit your needs in the future

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Believe it or not this really isn't a major benefit despite what many coatings will claim and what people tend to believe. Coatings will develop swirls and scratches in about the same fashion as an uncoated car if proper care is not used when cleaning them.

The major benefits are the chemical resistance, durability, thickness (relative to waxes and sealants), and ease of maintenance due to the ability to resist dirt and contamination better than traditional waxes and sealants.

I understand you were hoping that iron deposits would no longer be visible, but let's be realistic... you've got a white car (clean blank canvas) so any contrasting particle will be visible. Regardless of how tiny it may be. As I mentioned previously in this thread, there is no product on the market that will prevent "stuff" from landing and sticking to the surface of your vehicle (coated or not). This is the reason that CarPro, for instance, lists IronX as a necessary maintenance item for keeping your coated vehicle clean. Optimum has their version of iron remover, GTechniq has their version of iron remover, etc.

As you know... lower maintenance does not mean maintenance free. If the tiny specs bother you, white was a poor color choice for your OCD. Perhaps a more vibrant color or a darker grey would better suit your needs in the future

Totally agree. I'm not new to detailing. Just coatings. My expectations were not unrealistic. I didn't figure on them developing this soon. By spring time at this rate it will look like a red head with freckles.

My personal cars get full details including Iron X decontamination every spring and fall. I have been professionally detailing for 20 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wish me luck... I'm about to polish and re apply the coating on my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    I regularly see customer vehicles where they have paid high dollars for dealership coatings guaranteed for 5 years plus. Only to see these iron deposits a year later.
    Yeah, but...those dealership "coatings" are usually just a sealant and some fine print that you have to bring the vehicle back every 6 months or a year to essentially have the "coating" reapplied, in order to maintain the "5-year" guarantee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Wish me luck... I'm about to polish and re apply the coating on my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good luck brother! What coating did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, but...those dealership "coatings" are usually just a sealant and some fine print that you have to bring the vehicle back every 6 months or a year to essentially have the "coating" reapplied, in order to maintain the "5-year" guarantee.
    And pay for it? Every 6 months $800- $1500 to have it reapplied? That's the going rate for them around here. I think the dealership coatings are garbage and a waste of money. They probably have some high school kids applying them. It's all about commission and making money on the customer.

The last customer I had with the deposits had a brand new white Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. He paid $1200 and was guaranteed no maintenance by him or dealership for 5 years. When he went in and showed then the orange spots they quickly said they don't cover that..... It's a sham to get your money.

Post Thanks / Like

No, you misunderstood me. The fine print on those dealer "coatings" usually says you have to bring the car back in periodically for (free) maintenance (which no one does) or it voids the warranty. Or, in your example, what the salesman told you and what the warranty says are two different things, where they guarantee the paint for 5 years, except they exclude bird and chemical damage, iron spots, scratches, etc. so the "guarantee" is not worth the paper it's printed on. Besides I'm pretty sure some mfrs. warranty the paint to not fail for 5 years.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast