autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

LSP Pads for GG3" ??

I already have the GG6 + LC backing plates in 3 sizes. I've decided to add the GG3 to the mix for applying LSP's. It seems 90% of what I do is applying sealer to my fams vehicles and the GG3 seems like it would be more enjoyable to use (smaller/lighter).

It seems like smaller than 5.5" would make sense, as they'd fit all the nooks and crannies. Added time would probably be a non issue?

What size/make/model pads would you guys recommend for this purpose and why do you like them?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP Pads for GG3" ??

I would wait for the Boss 3" pads. The black finishing pads would be perfect. That's what I'm ordering for the GG3. Right now I'm using the 4" LC Flats on a GG6 for LSP's. I'm using both black and blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I remember asking the same questions some years back, and as well a thread about pads for the GG-3" Machine.

I know I have some here on hand that was suggested and pictured, and they are Meguiars 4" Pads, but bevel taper out to 4", and at the backing plate are a nice match-up for the Griots 3"

Our wally world used to sell the two-packs of them here, I believe the colors and agresssivnesses were yellow, red, black, (Black for waxing) but then seems that our store dropped many of the Meg's goodies. This area is quite far from being "detailer oriented-friendly".

Griots and now LC as well has the thinpro (3-1/2") pads in correct sizes that would work. The 4's from Megs might help you cover areas a bit quicker because of their slightly larger size.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-...ower-pads.html

Mike Phillips

I like the 4" RUPES white foam finishing pads on the Griot's 3" polisher.

1966 Blown Nova - Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos

Machine Waxing

Next step... seal the paint with Pinnacle Black Label Synergy

Most people hand apply their waxes but I'm a machine guy. By this I mean I try to do EVERY step by machine and the reason why is because the human hand cannot compete with a machine when it comes to creating the best results. Period.

First a quick lesson on how to machine apply a wax using the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher with Rupes 4" white foam finishing pads....

Here's the owner machine applying Synergy....

Here's Denis machine applying Synergy while his brother Matt watches.... these two brothers flew to Stuart, Florida from New York just to be a part of this project.

Dry to a haze
    These next pictures show a thin machine applied coat of Synergy drying. This wax needs to dry to a haze before removing.

Mike Phillips

after removing the wax...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for adding the Rupes Pads also. As you probably well know, the Megs Pads I mention look quite similar in shape to the Rupes Pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Thanks Mike for adding the Rupes Pads also. As you probably well know, the Megs Pads I mention look quite similar in shape to the Rupes Pads.

Yes.

Either or will work.

The big picture reason I like the RUPES white 4" is because,

A: It's super soft and when I'm applying a show car wax or a show car sealant to paint that has already been compounded and polished to perfection I don't need nor want any correction from the pad.

B: These pads are tapered. I posted this somewhere else on this forum years ago but here's the deal... when you press against a tapered pad the face of the pad flares outward. When you press against a cylindrical pad the face of the pad contorts inward. You want the face of the pad to flare outward.

C: The backing on the RUPES pad fits the Griot's backing plate while offering a 4" diameter footprint for max surface coverage from a small pad. When I'm machine applying a show car wax or a show car sealant the goal is to SPREAD the product out effectively and quickly. There is not concern for correction ability so speed is king. A larger pad covers more area but with a small tool you max out at about 4".

D: The RUPES white foam finishing pad is light and fluffy and rotates well on the Griot's for machine applying wax. You don't NEED pad rotation for applying a non-cleaning product but a little rotation helps the pad itself to glide over the surface. If it's not rotating you'll feel it sort of drag.

Also for those reading this into the future that are wondering about these two terms,

• show car wax
    • show car sealant

Many waxes have cleaners or abrasives in them because they are targeted at Joe Consumer only doing one thing to their paint. Because paint becomes stained over time in order for Joe Consumer to see a visual difference after applying and removing a wax most waxes need to offer cleaning.

Now that's for Joe Consumer. For those of us that do more than one thing, for example put the paint on a car through a dedicated compounding and dedicated polishing step, we don't need or want a wax or a sealant with cleaners or abrasives, we want pure protection and pure beauty. That's what you call a show car wax.

Another term for show car wax is finishing wax.

I'll have a segement on our TV show in the second season where I explain these two different types of products.

These types of products offer no cleaning ability or correcting ability and as such should only be used on paint in perfect condition, i.e. a brand new car or paint that has been perfected by compounding and polishing.

Make sense?

That's why for "most" of the type of work I do I like a soft foam finishing pad because chances are I'm applying a show car wax or show car sealant and don't need or want any cut from the pad.

Mike Phillips

I don't always use the RUPES 4" pads on the Griot's however.

Sometimes I use the Lake Country 3" Flat Pads because they will more easily fit inside some jars of wax and by nature I'm lazy.

Lake Country 3 Inch Flat Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Here's a blast from the past....

New Product Testing - Monster 4x4 1957 Chevy Bel Air

Time to seal the deal

In order seal the paint and maximize the gloss and protection I chose 2 products from Dodo Juice Carnauba Waxes. Dodo Juice Light Fantastic Soft Wax and Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub Soft Wax. I love the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher as a machine wax spreader and also for machine wet sanding with 3" sanding discs. There's no sanding going on here but there's a lot of sheetmetal real-estate to cover. With a 3" foam pad I can place the pad directly into the jar of wax and then simply blip the on/off button on the polisher to get some wax on the pad. Then it's just a matter of spreading it over the panels.

Dodo Juice Carnauba Waxes and the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher

Cool truck/car/thing

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome info, guys. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Would you ever default to the GG3 (over the GG6) for a light cleaner wax application (again, owing to size/convenience)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast