autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing paint from plastic?

Truck had some body work done, and the shop got some paint over spray on my wheel liners (plastic) how can I remove this so I know it's done properly?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing paint from plastic?

I assume you are talking about your wheel well liners? I also have smooth hard plastic wheel wells and I will usually use a product called rapid remover which is an adhesive remover for tar and grease, but for paint overspray I would recommend cleaning them really well with degreaser and scrubbing them with a brush and a microfiber towel. This will not remove much if any of the overspray but its best to clean off all the non-bonded contaminants before using a clay bar to remove anything bonded. I would recommend keeping your old clay bars after you have retired them from using on your paint. I have an aggressive clay bar that I have specifically for tough situations like that. There are many chemicals that could also remove the overspray but an aggressive clay bar is most certainly the safest option

Post Thanks / Like

Do a test spot with lacquer thinner if really dried on or wax and grease remover if not.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Mike Phillips

I've had good luck removing "some" paint overspray using Stoners Xenit.

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner removes resins, carbon deposits, silicones, and contaminants from molds. You’ll never again be frustrated trying to remove tough gunk and grime in your home, office, garage or car. Natural citrus XENIT by Stoner removes tacky, grimy dirt so well, in most cases you can simply “wipe it away.”

Xenit is a natural precision mold cleaner used as a degreaser in the plastics and rubber molding industries. It contains Citrus 66, a highly refine extract of citrus fruit. This powerful ingredient removes greasy soil and stains that can't be removed by soap and water.

Use XENIT to quickly permanent marker, crayon and lipstick “accidents” in the car and around the home. It removes release agents, resins, carbon deposits, and other contaminants left in mold cavities.

Xenit contains more than five, different, high performance cleaners. Unlike most water-based citrus cleaners that are designed to lift and carry dirt, XENIT is formulated to break down the complex molecules found in sticky materials. This MicroActive cleaning action gives XENIT unequaled abilities to loosen and dissolve difficult grime like tar, grease, gum and adhesives. It even removes dried latex paint if accidentally dripped on carpet, flooring, or furniture. Xenit removes shoe scuffs and heel marks from from vinyl panels and greasy dirt from fabrics and upholstery.

Save yourself hours of agony trying to remove sticky stuff with standard cleaners. Avoid wasted time spent laboring with inferior water-based products. XENIT is formulated to evaporate and dry completely, leaving behind no sticky residues or streaky soaps.

10 oz. aerosol.

It's also a great way to shine up brushed stainless steel surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to give those ideas a try! Body shop said to paint over it, um no.