autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable 7424xp problems?

6.5" pads are too big and a 5" DA backing plate and 5.5" (thin) pads would definitely be a must for the PCXP. however, with the GG6 (why i recommend it so much) has plenty of torque/power to rotate both...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

GG6 will still stall a 5.5" pad but no where near easily as a PC24XP. I can't see any reason why anyone would choose a PC over a GG6.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    I tend to use 5.5" pad, have you drawn lines on your pad in order to see if the plate is spinning? I apply enough to have control over the machine but light enough to keep the plate spinning, too much pressure will just have the plate sit still and machine to vibrate. When you are done doing a pass just keep the machine still in the surface until it stops or else you will run into the life the bearings fast!
    Yea, what you said lastly, and also will sling product all over the place if you lift the machine off the paint while still running.

Post Thanks / Like

Use thin pads and not too much product.

DA will not spin (by design) on curved surfaces.

If it is flat on the paint it should turn with a fair amount of downforce.

Try a section on the hood or trunk and test your technique.

Smaller difference between pad size and backing plate will also help.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marknett View Post
    I will try it with the handle and see if that helps. I have a black backing plate so I added a piece of green tape for spinning reference. I think the biggest issue may be the 6.5" pads. I will remember the waiting till it stops before lifting also.
    No, I meant that using the handle would do more harm than good.

Post Thanks / Like

I've run 6.5" pads on my 1st gen PC no problem. I can only attribute the issues to, too much pressure, too much angle, or not positioning yourself correctly in relation to the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes , The problem was definitely me. I just got through doing the girlfriends car. I even used some 6.5" pads without issues .I think the problem was mainly I had the pad I was using saturated. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to use 6 pea size dot product scattered around the pad, mostly 5 pea size close to the edge of the pad, 1 pea size in the center of the pad. Then I will spread the product by blotting softly around my area 2' x 2' section at a time and then begin working.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    No, I meant that using the handle would do more harm than good.
    I wouldn't say using the handle does more harm than good, in the sense that it's not going to add any considerable weight to the machine, and be the cause of bogging.

I use the PC both ways, with and without handle. I feel at times, the handle can give a little better control of the machine, usually on horizontal surfaces, offers a better hold, and can help at times with insuring you're running the pads flat to the panel surface. We PC owners all know how sensitive a machine like the PC can be with a Pad ever so slightly canted against the body panels.

Post Thanks / Like

If I have to try correcting with a PC, I always put it on 6 and not a lot of pressure to allow it to keep rotating. If I'm just doing a final polish, I don't worry about it spinning. I use mostly hexalogic pads, so the edge isn't smooth and easy to see if is spinning so I've never bothered to mark them, and my backing plate has seen a lot of use so has enough markings on it to see if it's spinning. I have a Flex now that I use most of the time so I don't even bother trying to do any correcting with the PC, which actually sounds like is about to blow up now. It's about 3 years old, but hasn't been put to full time use so I would have expected it to last longer. But now it's making a lot of clacking noises inside, which is why I upgraded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast