autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you clean machined wheels?

Hey guys, just got a new (used) set of machine wheels for my car. Google (rotiform nue) I'm wondering how I should go about cleaning them and polishing them if need be....I'm not sure if you're even supposed to polish these. Let me know as I've only worked on clear coated wheels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you clean machined wheels?

First off, these are really cool wheels. I just went to the iConfigurator and was able to see every one of there products on a picture of my 2015 VW CC. That's "attention to detail".

If there is a clear coat on them you have every option available to you. Collinite 476/845, You can even coat them with Opti-Gloss, cQuartz, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, McKees, etc...

Bear in mind Rotiform's warranty. http://www.rotiform.com/page.cfm?t=r...warranty&id=31

particularly.....

12) Keep wheels clean. The chrome, clear coat or aluminum finish will be damaged if foreign material, brake dust, dirt or chemicals are not removed promptly. NEVER CLEAN WHEELS WHEN THEY ARE HOT! Clean wheels regularly with mild soap and water only. The finish of your wheels may be permanently damaged by caustic soap used on some commercial car washes. Any abrasives, steel wool or chemicals applied to your wheels may damage the finish.

Notice their use of the word "may"... if you do it right you can treat the wheels properly and not even come close to voiding the warranty.

Here is another good link on AGO for you. At the bottom are 4 HOWTO's that cover the gamut... Tire Dressings, rubber protectants, tire shine

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be surprised if the weren't clear coated or powder coated but they don't seem to say much about that.

I would try a rubbing a little polish with a light colored cloth to test to see. If they are raw uncoated aluminum the cloth will turn black very quickly. Or you try to contact the company and ask them how that particular wheel is finished.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    First off, these are really cool wheels. I just went to the iConfigurator and was able to see every one of there products on a picture of my 2015 VW CC. That's "attention to detail".

If there is a clear coat on them you have every option available to you. Collinite 476/845, You can even coat them with Opti-Gloss, cQuartz, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, McKees, etc...

Bear in mind Rotiform's warranty. http://www.rotiform.com/page.cfm?t=r...warranty&id=31

particularly.....

12) Keep wheels clean. The chrome, clear coat or aluminum finish will be damaged if foreign material, brake dust, dirt or chemicals are not removed promptly. NEVER CLEAN WHEELS WHEN THEY ARE HOT! Clean wheels regularly with mild soap and water only. The finish of your wheels may be permanently damaged by caustic soap used on some commercial car washes. Any abrasives, steel wool or chemicals applied to your wheels may damage the finish.

Notice their use of the word "may"... if you do it right you can treat the wheels properly and not even come close to voiding the warranty.

Here is another good link on AGO for you. At the bottom are 4 HOWTO's that cover the gamut... Tire Dressings, rubber protectants, tire shine
    Ughhh, stupid winter! These cleaned up super nice but now I gotta wait 6 months to put them on ((

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app