autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Crystal Serum Light

Crystal Serum Light coating is supposed to last 3 to 5 years. If I'm not mistaken that is 1 to 3 years more than any other coating. Why isn't this coating used by everyone? It's not the most expensive and doesn't seem any harder to apply, seems it should be the go-to coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crystal Serum Light

Your not the only one who would like answer to that ?

Post Thanks / Like

I use it among others. I can't speak for the durability yet, but it's a great looking coating. Application is fairly easy. If you end up with any high spots you will be compounding them off like it says, polish doesn't really phase it. I like to top it with EXO, improves the look and makes it a little more hydrophobic. Although I have heard CSL alone is pretty hydrophobic, I've always topped it. Topping with EXO does make it a little harder application, it can be topped with C2v3 also which is easy, makes it almost as hydrophobic as EXO just doesn't last as long as EXO. It's a great coating.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You will find that for many it is their go-to coating, but not all of them are on here talking about it

Just because its an extremely tough, durable coating doesn't necessarily make it "the best" coating. This is subjective and there are many different reasons for which a coating can be described as "the best". Even though there is every reason that Crystal Serum Light can be called "the best"

Some prefer a certain coating because its the easiest to apply...some prefer others due to the extremely hydrophic properties...others prefer a certain coating due to a unique look that it gives...some may only want a 1 or 2 year coating because they like to re polish their car and re coat or try something else...

Overall there are many different characteristics of a coating that appeal to different people for different reasons, but yes some tick more boxes than others. We are spoilt for choice that's for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle and gloss coat for me.After polishing for hours the last thing I want to to do is compound off a high spot and make a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having CSL applied soon, and am stoked about it.

I asked my detailer about exo, and he told me in his opinion, it's a waste of money and chemical if csl is already being applied. But would be happy to apply exo and charge me for it. Lol

I will use the c2v3 over it once in a while. CSL seems like a great deal to me. I was looking at opticoat pro, but that was SOOOO expensive to have done.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

CSL is a great coating and for certain people its the coating they first reach for. But that being said, CSL had a bigger learning curve for new users versus a few other coatings. A bit more experience is good with coatings before CSL.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been testing CSL for a while now, with our longest test panel approaching 6 months of abuse. The panel has been washed just twice in the 6 months (most recently last week), and the coating is still as hydrophobic as it was on day 1. Pretty impressive given the circumstances.

I also have CSL applied to the hood of my personal vehicle which is maintained to the highest level and it is performing perfectly, as expected.

To be perfectly honest, CSL is our favorite consumer grade coating on the market right now. The slickness is off the chart, application is a breeze once you get the hang of it, and the protection seems to be on par with any other coating out there.

As far as the 5 year durability, you will notice that GTechniq does mention that in order to maintain hydrophobic properties for such a duration, the coating may need to be topped either with a spray sealant like C2 or with another coating like EXO. However, as we know, water beading is not a representation of actual protection... without opening a can of worms, I'll just say that most vehicles can benefit from a light polish every 1-3 years depending on how they are used, therefore I personally don't pay much attention to coating durability claims past the 3 year mark.

I would highly recommend checking out CSL if you're looking for a new coating to try... you can find my "Initial Impressions" article on the DI Ask-A-Pro Blog.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It really is a great coating for a consumer grade product but everyone has different preferences for various reasons. For example as great as CSL is, it's not cost effective for me. Keep in mind this is Canadian prices but cquartz uk is about 90 or so for a 50 ml bottle while CSL is over 100. For me uk is good enough and doesn't justify the cost to me personally while for others it will.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, here in the US, CQUK is $73 and CSL is $110 for 50 mL each... however if you consider that each bottle will do about 5 applications, that breaks down to $14.6/car and $22/car respectively. I have found that CSL is a time saver and produces a clearer finish (we have struggled with oily smearing with CQUK), therefore an extra $7 per application for a super slick finish that has a longer durability rating and will save us time during application is absolutely worth it..... not to mention we charge a fair amount more to apply CSL vs. a 2 year coating, so the margins are higher

Retired Professional Detailer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast