autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Differences in carnauba waxes?

How much difference can there be between various manufactures pure carnauba waxes?

Some folks say that brand "X" doesn't last long, but brand "Z" lasts for months? I'm assuming they are talking about appearance and/or beading.

Is it possible to have that much more of a saturation point in one carnauba wax than another one... so that a higher content of carnauba can be put into the product?

Maybe the "real" grade of carnauba, or how it is refined?

Is it the addition of polymers or other ingredients?

To be honest, I have noticed "some" differences in longevity... but not to the extent that some others have? Of course, as long as I've been doing this, I'm still not a real good judge of durability/protection. However, I still have a good eye for appearance.
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    For me most carnauba waxes or sealants, the appearance only last for couple of days. I notice they will go back to my original preb shine and appearance. But the water beading does lasted longer than the looks. But I haven't care about the lasting effect of the water beading tho, as I wax the car every week.

As I too want to have the appearance of the just waxed looks. To me it's more important than the durability of the waxes or sealants.

Post Thanks / Like
    there are different grades of nuba.... also some companies add other cheaper waxes (bees wax)

then some companies add other ingredients. Killerwheels would be the man to ask on this topic... I am sure he'll post as soon as he sees it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to hearing Killers thoughts.
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    while all waxes inheritently offer carnauba as a base, there are alot of different ingredients, solvents, and polymers that can make the waxes look and act quite differently. Also note most boutique waxes can contain vary different amounts of carnauba, and some contain additional paint cleaners. Higher carnauba doesnt always mean better looks, sometimes it just means its harder to remove. Almost all car care products use #1 Yellow or Ivory (refined) carnauba and never noticed much difference between the two, but manufacturers suggest the Ivory product is more optically perfect.

Your assessment however is pretty much spot on. Usually the biggest differences are noted in durability, wet appearance (gloss factor), and application/removal. Some waxes (especially the high dollar boutique products) are not all that different in final look and thus the end user needs to consider their price point.

Example, I have used many high dollar Zymol products costing 2-3-4-5 times what Souveran costs and wife, friends, and neighbors will ellicit they look no different at end. Sure maybe one beads better in rain, or lasts a little longer, but in some cases is seems the price point is what makes the purchaser believe he/she is seeing something the rest of us dont. Souveran paste was one of the first waxes that most everybody saw "the difference" and thus why I come back to it. I can tell you however I have used many boutique waxes that are similar in outcome, and thus price once again becomes the real deciding factor.
    Last edited by ScottB; 11-10-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    while all waxes inheritently offer carnauba as a base, there are alot of different ingredients, solvents, and polymers that can make the waxes look and act quite differently. Also note most boutique waxes can contain vary different amounts of carnauba, and some contain additional paint cleaners. Higher carnauba doesnt always mean better looks, sometimes it just means its harder to remove. Almost all car care products use #1 Yellow or Ivory (refined) carnauba and never noticed much difference between the two, but manufacturers suggest the Ivory product is more optically perfect.

Your assessment however is pretty much spot on. Usually the biggest differences are noted in durability, wet appearance (gloss factor), and application/removal. Some waxes (especially the high dollar boutique products) are not all that different in final look and thus the end user needs to consider their price point.

Example, I have used many high dollar Zymol products costing 2-3-4-5 times what Souveran costs and wife, friends, and neighbors will ellicit they look no different at end. Sure maybe one beads better in rain, or lasts a little longer, but in some cases is seems the price point is what makes the purchaser believe he/she is seeing something the rest of us dont. Souveran paste was one of the first waxes that most everybody saw "the difference" and thus why I come back to it. I can tell you however I have used many boutique waxes that are similar in outcome, and thus price once again becomes the real deciding factor.
    Certain people will notice things others dont. I could care less what my friends, neighbors, etc. say about different waxes because they dont know what to look for, nor are they as picky. Hell, the majority of people are thrilled with a good wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post

Excellent info... and I agree!

I sometimes think that the hit on the wallet has as much to do with ones take on a product, as does the actual appearance/performance of the product. A recent re-vist to an old detailing favorite (Mothers Cali Gold Pure Carnauba) proved just that point to me. Looks great, easy to apply, and lasts long enough for me. So much so, that I just ordered a new tin from AG.
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    beware guys of marketing and hyped up products.
    Last edited by trhland; 11-11-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like
    By trying the products out for yourself. Dont take the manufacturers or other peoples word for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detailing View Post
    By trying the products out for yourself. Dont take the manufacturers or other peoples word for it.
    very true!!!!
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast