autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: flex vs long stroke machine

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • flex

25 65.79%
  • long throw rupees or gg

13 34.21%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

FLEX XC3401 vs any of the new long stroke polishers???

if im going to spend the money on a high end polisher should i get the old flex that everyone seems to love or one of the new rupes or griots long throw machines? what do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX XC3401 vs any of the new long stroke polishers???

Let's see
    Pros to 3401
    Quicker corrections over area that contour/convex

Cons
    It sometimes works you
    Personally fatigues my hands quickly

Long throw pros
    Smooth
    Easy to manage
    Just use weight of machine
    Finishes better

Cons
    Can stall at certain body curves.. either have to relevel machine, turn up speed or do massage technique.
    Less effort all around

Overall correction speed for both seems about the same to me

Post Thanks / Like

For me after I learn the correct method to use long throw, I never use my Flex 3401 anymore. If there are any heavy defect that need more correction power, I will have my Rotary in place and finish it with long throw.

4. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My 3401 only comes out now for a couple reasons.

1. To run my Nanoskin 6in speedy prep pad

2. To do quick AIO jobs with HD Speed or similar.

Like stated above. For long hours of correction it just beats me up too much now. My BOSS G21 takes care of most jobs. Then I have my flex PE8 for tight intricate areas.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

thenks guys, so if i buy a long throw machine its important to learn the new technique as its different then a traditional dual action?

going to work on the car now and have a few brews ill check back in later!

Post Thanks / Like

I think both are needed. The long throw machines on curves and tighter areas are not as useful as a traditional DA.

Post Thanks / Like

With the 3401 you can expect a workout, but you can get into almost any spot on the car. You also have a variety of pad sizes you can use.

With the long throws, you will have hardly any effort. You can run a 5" backing plate on a 21mm, but it's not recommended by rupes. I've tried a smaller backing plate on a 15mm and it was like a jackhammer.

I feel like, if you own a 15mm or 21mm polisher, you do need a second machine. A 3401 can be used nearly exclusively.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

9. Likes JustJesus, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my 3401. Going back to a non-forced rotation is not something I can do anymore. Rarely are the cars I work on flat and without curves. The 3401 powers through anything in less time. Love it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite the opposite to some of the other experiences. The Flex 3401 is very smooth for an orbital (albeit forced rotation orbital) and it does not fatigue my hands. Compare it with a GG6, Porter Cable XP7424 or any one of the rinky dink machines, and you'll notice a tremendous different in vibration. That said, the Flex 3401 exposes bad technique and will fight you if the pad is not flat. But to confirm what the others have said, the Rupes Bigfoot is smoothest orbital. I owned the Rupes Bigfoot 15ES and i sold that in a couple months because it 1) was only slightly smoother (meaning not a big enough difference for me to consider it a significant advantage over the Flex), 2) stalled like crazy on concave panels, 3) the Flex 3401 can deal with small edges with little pad contact, 4) and not wanting to deal with switching machines my Rupes 15ES just didn't see any use. I've owned pretty much all the major polishers on the market and i recommend the Flex 3401. Currently in my personal arsenal are the Flex 3401 orbital, Flex PE14 rotary, Harbor Freight DA for carpet duty, and Rupes Nano Long Neck.

12. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    With the 3401 you can expect a workout, but you can get into almost any spot on the car. You also have a variety of pad sizes you can use.

With the long throws, you will have hardly any effort. You can run a 5" backing plate on a 21mm, but it's not recommended by rupes. I've tried a smaller backing plate on a 15mm and it was like a jackhammer.

I feel like, if you own a 15mm or 21mm polisher, you do need a second machine. A 3401 can be used nearly exclusively.
    nice thanks i don't mind a workout im a big strong guy lol plus im just working on my car. as far as this thread goes im not really understanding what the long throw machines are for? is it mainly just to make it easier if you're using it eight hours a day?
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    I'm quite the opposite to some of the other experiences. The Flex 3401 is very smooth for an orbital (albeit forced rotation orbital) and it does not fatigue my hands. Compare it with a GG6, Porter Cable XP7424 or any one of the rinky dink machines, and you'll notice a tremendous different in vibration. That said, the Flex 3401 exposes bad technique and will fight you if the pad is not flat. But to confirm what the others have said, the Rupes Bigfoot is smoothest orbital. I owned the Rupes Bigfoot 15ES and i sold that in a couple months because it 1) was only slightly smoother (meaning not a big enough difference for me to consider it a significant advantage over the Flex), 2) stalled like crazy on concave panels, 3) the Flex 3401 can deal with small edges with little pad contact, 4) and not wanting to deal with switching machines my Rupes 15ES just didn't see any use. I've owned pretty much all the major polishers on the market and i recommend the Flex 3401. Currently in my personal arsenal are the Flex 3401 orbital, Flex PE14 rotary, Harbor Freight DA for carpet duty, and Rupes Nano Long Neck.
    thanks for the input im reading that the flex is a better all around machine just going by this thread?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast