autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes MkII backing plate explosion

Intense!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there torque spec for the bolt?

I'm not going to knock Rupes, but I do wonder if you'll have to deal with "over tightening" or use product (thread locker) not approved or recommend by the manufacturer.

Again, not looking to start anything, just something I deal with tool manufacturers before.

Post Thanks / Like

This will not happen over normal condition, I can't imagine how this could happen though. I have my pad fly off, Rupes microfiber pad breaking but, MKII backing plate is so darn sturdy despite it having gripping issues.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you have a washer mod. If that's the case then you're probably screwed on warranty

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thats definitely a first and I'm sorry for the delay in seeing this.... SEMA has me running around like crazy so my time to jump online and check the forums is pretty limited. Always best to contact us direct if you need help as we don't check the boards ever single day.

That being said - the failure is really unusual because the actual metal part at the center of the plate looks to be bent/pulled out of the plate. I've honestly never seen anything like it before. Can you shoot me an email with your contact phone number - I'll get our director of manufacturing on the phone with you and have him see what could have possible gone wrong and determine the best fix - if its just a plate certainly we can send that to you free of charge and you're good, but I want his determination if there any other parts that should be replaced just to be safe. My email is dylanv@rupesusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M at ShowShine View Post
    It looks like you have a washer mod. If that's the case then you're probably screwed on warranty
    Not at all true - unless the washer mod is the cause of the failure it has no impact on warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a big negative ghostrider. While it is possible the washer mod could cause some issues (I supposed an improperly aligned washer could some how slice into the backing plate but even then this would be very rare and unique), we are not going to void a warranty over an unrelated problem.

There may be several causes of the issue, but it is very unlikely that "operator error" is the root. In reality, the biggest problem the washer mod would likely cause is accelerated pad wear because of the RPM the pads can achieve in free air (up to 5500 depend on the tool). We have no problem standing behind the quality and engineering of our tools.

I'm very happy that nothing was damaged and equally sad that the OP has to experience this. As Dylan suggested, and if you don't mind, please get in contact with him and have a conversation with our director of manufacturing so we can isolate the cause and see what we can do to help make sure failure's like this don't happen in the future.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious to know what the black gunk is on the backing plate centre and the counterweight. None of my Rupes has this, is it the locktite?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    Well, thats definitely a first and I'm sorry for the delay in seeing this.... SEMA has me running around like crazy so my time to jump online and check the forums is pretty limited. Always best to contact us direct if you need help as we don't check the boards ever single day.

That being said - the failure is really unusual because the actual metal part at the center of the plate looks to be bent/pulled out of the plate. I've honestly never seen anything like it before. Can you shoot me an email with your contact phone number - I'll get our director of manufacturing on the phone with you and have him see what could have possible gone wrong and determine the best fix - if its just a plate certainly we can send that to you free of charge and you're good, but I want his determination if there any other parts that should be replaced just to be safe. My email is dylanv@rupesusa.com

Not at all true - unless the washer mod is the cause of the failure it has no impact on warranty.
    Just got en email sent to you. Thanks for trying to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    were you using the washer mod?
    No washer mod, not necessary with the MkII

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    Is there torque spec for the bolt?

I'm not going to knock Rupes, but I do wonder if you'll have to deal with "over tightening" or use product (thread locker) not approved or recommend by the manufacturer.

Again, not looking to start anything, just something I deal with tool manufacturers before.
    I have full faith they will do their best to find out what caused the problem

No washer mod, not necessary with the MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    I'm curious to know what the black gunk is on the backing plate centre and the counterweight. None of my Rupes has this, is it the locktite?
    The black residue is mostly from the safety guard that the backing plate rubs on, some may be from the pad washer/polish.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Please take a close look to RED marked areas.
    It is clearly seen that there was a lot of friction and heat going between backing plate and the shroud aka Anti Spin. Yes I know it is common, but not THAT much.
    So we can be assured that no 'washer mod' was installed.
    A lot of friction created a lot of heat, heat created expansion, softens the material. That was probably the cause of the BP failure.
    Only question is, why there was so much friction between those two ? No lubrication ? Too much torque caused BP to be in very close contact with shroud ? Improper BP mounting ? Who knows... not me.. me only knows how to shine things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast