autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard water spot removal side by side

I have a client bring in a car that had spots for 6 months, the car sat outside baking in over 100 ° weather daily

I applied all products with an orange buff and shine pad attached to my flex 3401 on speed 4 with a slow arm speed with 6 passes each. No other products were used on the panel such as a dedicated water spot removal spray. Just a wash with D114, clay and then the different AIO or compounds

I ended up finishing the whole car with Meg's 66 just so I can try and use up my bottle and make room for some more products
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard water spot removal side by side-1477312937046-jpg   Hard water spot removal side by side-1477312952136-jpg   Hard water spot removal side by side-1477313138575-jpg   Hard water spot removal side by side-1477313168779-jpg   Hard water spot removal side by side-1477313188239-jpg   Hard water spot removal side by side-1477313210079-jpg   Hard water spot removal side by side-1477313234713-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard water spot removal side by side

the first one or the one on the far right it Megs 66

Mike Phillips

Next time give Optimum MDR a try. Wipe it on using a microfiber applicator pad, allow it to dwell for 3-4 minutes and then wipe it off.

After 3-4 minutes you can also agitate it with the microfiber applicator pad.

I used this product over the weekend to remove water spots off of an outdoor patio table with a glass top with about a years worth of hard water spots, which are technically Mineral Deposits.

I still had to machine polish the glass to get it 100% perfect but the MDR did the heavy lifting.

As I wiped the MDR over the spots the spots would turn white. They were white to start with but I mean they really stood out as it looked like a chemical reaction between the product and the minerals.

For what it's worth...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they all did a pretty nice job. What are your observations from doing it and seeing them all in person?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Next time give Optimum MDR a try. Wipe it on using a microfiber applicator pad, allow it to dwell for 3-4 minutes and then wipe it off.

After 3-4 minutes you can also agitate it with the microfiber applicator pad.

I used this product over the weekend to remove water spots off of an outdoor patio table with a glass top with about a years worth of hard water spots, which are technically Mineral Deposits.

I still had to machine polish the glass to get it 100% perfect but the MDR did the heavy lifting.

As I wiped the MDR over the spots the spots would turn white. They were white to start with but I mean they really stood out as it looked like a chemical reaction between the product and the minerals.

For what it's worth...

im always on the look out to something to make removing water spots less time consuming, id say water spot removal is the majority of my business. how would you say Optimum MDR compares to Carpros waterspot remover?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Looks like they all did a pretty nice job. What are your observations from doing it and seeing them all in person?
    Megs 151 and M37 AIO are my favorite for this task or any quick light polish and protection

megs is just so easy to use, apply and wipe off like a dream, its a bit thicker then M37 AIO which I really like as well so its not as runny.
    M37 AIO is also really easy to work with and does a great job and I think in the looks department and from what im being told longevity is longer then D151. the only real down side to M37 AIO is the runny part for me, if it was just a little bit thicker I think it would be perfect. oh I also noticed that sometimes, not always but sometimes the M37 would build up on the surface in random spots and it would be harder to remove but the D151 was always smooth and came off with no issues

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow I can't believe how bad those water spots were!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post

how would you say Optimum MDR compares to Carpros waterspot remover?

For this project, it worked better.

My guess is different brand water spot removers probably work better for different scenarios but in this case, the Optimum MDR worked best.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum MDR is the only Optimum product I have used that did nothing for me.

I tried it 3-4 times on my well coated DD and failed every time.

Also tried multiple dwell times and pre-wash-no difference.

Ended up polishing with Ultimate Compound by hand.

I should add that these were water spots not from a sprinkler.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Do the mineral deposits have the ability to cause more clear coat to be removed if a chemical remover is not used first as mentioned by Mike Phillips? I would be scared to polish on top of those mineral deposits imagining them grinding into the clear. I have used Flitz Instant Calcium, Rust & Lime Remover, hard water spots remover, calcium remover, tile cleaner, fiberglass cleaner, rust remover with good results and then I used the compound or polish with great results.