autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New LSP/Sealant Experiment

When I was deciding what topper I wanted to use on my car after I put Gloss Coat on it, I was considering Opti-seal, reload, and then came across Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Even though Sonax BSD is technically "just" a detail spray, from many of the reviews I have read, most say it should be considered a spray sealant rather than a detail spray, and it has some of the most hydrophobic properties I have ever seen. I was curious if Sonax Brilliant Spray Detailer would outlast and offer more protection than Opti-seal so I decided to conduct a little experiment since nobody really compared these 2 products since they're marketed differently. I'm not sure if many of you care to see how these products compare since this isn't really an apples to apples comparison, but I thought I'd post my findings regardless.

I know doing this experiment on a coated car could possibly skew the results, so I decided to use my daily lease as the test car. I washed, clayed (nanoskined) and used M205 on the hood to remove any possible oils/sealants (there was absolutely nothing on this car), did an IPA wipe down, followed by an additional wipe down with Optimum paint prep spray (similar to Carpro Eraser) and applied Opti-seal to the center of the hood, Sonax BSD to the passenger side of the hood, and just for kicks, I applied Collinite 845 to the driver side of the hood, just so we can have a 3 way comparison. I also applied Sonax BSD to the passenger side of the car and Opti-seal to the drivers side of the car. The only part of the car that was polished was the hood, I didn't have the patience today to polish the whole car, not to mention I'm under the weather.

Here's a quick cell phone pic of the hood. Sorry for the crappy quality, I promise all upcoming pictures of the results will be MUCH higher quality.

This car is NEVER garaged and driven all year round so we should really be able to see which product is the most durable. My money is on Collinite 845, but I really don't know what's gonna happen between Opti-seal and Sonax BSD. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New LSP/Sealant Experiment

Sould be interesting and i'll be following along. Thanks BD77.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to this!! Way cool!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

No problem, and so am I. After 24 hours, I'll spray some water and take some pics to get the initial beading shots. Then we can go from there. Those pics will be up tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed. Looking forward to your results.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Took some pics today as well as a video comparing the hydrophobic properties of each. As far as appearance, I can't really see a difference between the 3. Sonax BSD is definitely the most hydrophobic of the bunch, followed by Collinite 845, followed by Opti-seal.

This is before any water hit the hood.

Here are some beading shot of the Sonax BSD side of the hood

Here are some Opti-seal beading action shots

And Here are some shots from the Collinite 845 side

Here's the video of the water behavior of each product. Forgive how nasally and lethargic I sound, I have a wicked bad cold and it's kicking my ass. I can feel my pulse in my eye balls lol.

Post Thanks / Like

subscribed as I am very interested in Sonax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    subscribed as I am very interested in Sonax.
    So am I. So far, I like it very much. It's hydrophobic properties are incredible and it's very easy to use, just WOWO. If it lasts for any amount of time, it'll definitely be something I use regularly. As for slickness feel, it's the least slick feeling but I don't really car that much about that. Collinite 845 feels the most slick, followed by Opti-seal, followed by BSD.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax BSD made one of my towels almost completely hydrophobic and useless lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
    Sonax BSD made one of my towels almost completely hydrophobic and useless lol.
    Lmao wow! Even after washing??? That's quite remarkable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast