autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Protecting/Preventing corrosion in my spotless engine and engine bay in my New vehicle

I am looking for something that could be applied in hard to access areas which would be not possible to be wiped down afterwords, deep in the recesses of the engine, and engine bay. I have a new vehicle with a spotless engine and engine bay and would like to find a product that would make future cleaning easier, and preserve/protect/ and prevent the corrosion of metal and plastic components.
    Sonus was reccomended by a forum member and looks like it might be the best option for my intended use, it is a new vehicle.
    I do not want to have to try and strip the factory applied protectant, the engine looks spotless can I just apply the product to it as it sits?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting/Preventing corrosion in my spotless engine and engine bay in my New vehicle

What factory-applied protectant?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting/Preventing corrosion in my spotless engine and engine bay in my New vehicle

I had read here on the forum that new vehicles now come with some type of protection on the engine to prevent corrosion from the manufacturer, it was stated to remove it before applying the Sonus product. I am new to this, so any advice is appreciated just trying to learn and do my best to maintain my $40,000 investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What factory-applied protectant?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a car which comes across the Atlantic like my BMW, there will be yellowish, kinda gooey Cosmoline all over it which is to prevent corrosion. If you'd like to add some corrosion resistance, LPS is a brand which comes to mind. They have Corrosion Inhibitor. It is great, but wouldn't look so great. Also, what kind of car/truck are you driving? Most modern engine compartments are nothing more than a big black plastic shroud.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    I had read here on the forum that new vehicles now come with some type of protection on the engine to prevent corrosion from the manufacturer, it was stated to remove it before applying the Sonus product. I am new to this, so any advice is appreciated just trying to learn and do my best to maintain my $40,000 investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    If you have a car which comes across the Atlantic like my BMW, there will be yellowish, kinda gooey Cosmoline all over it which is to prevent corrosion. If you'd like to add some corrosion resistance, LPS is a brand which comes to mind. They have Corrosion Inhibitor. It is great, but wouldn't look so great. Also, what kind of car/truck are you driving? Most modern engine compartments are nothing more than a big black plastic shroud.
    Yes, some vehicles, particularly ones that are ocean shipped, have that Cosmoline stuff on them, which is going to have to be removed before applying something like the Sonus Trim and Motor Kote (or whatever it's called). But as Waxmaster1 noted, that's only going to be on the metal surfaces, which I'm not sure are really going to be helped by the Sonus product. The "factory coating" is only a transit protection, it's not meant for long term protection (I don't think), it's going to get all kinds of dust and crap stuck in it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado pickup, the engine is spotless, all metal components are pristine engine block, ac compressor, alternator, starter etc. if it's in there it's spotless. Yes there is some plastic which would benefit from being treated to DLux or Wolfgang ETS I am looking to try and prevent corrosion on all surfaces in the engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess spraying with a chassis protection product like Bare Bones, Griot's Undercarriage, or even Meg's Hyper Dressing diluted, would work. Of course I just read the Sonus description, and it does say it can be used on cast aluminum. So to answer your original question, yes, it seems like a good idea, but IMO you're going to need to wash it down with something before application, there is going to be some residual something on the metal parts that is going to keep the Motor Kote from adhering.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new Colorado. Those are really nice looking trucks.

How long do you plan on keeping the truck? Most Alt, compressors, starters are replaced at some point, those are serviceable replaceable parts... So unless they're chrome, I wouldn't worry about them.

I would use the Wolfgang Total Engine Cleaner and follow up on the painted parts, i.e. strut towers, under hood, etc, with Pinnacle Crystal Mist or some kind of sealant. Do this every few months.

This is a 9 year old DD with a 145K miles on it, of New England driving and weather!

This is from the new Silverado I just detailed, aside from the intake plenum the rest is pretty much all plastic:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Most Alt, compressors, starters are replaced at some point, those are serviceable replaceable parts... So unless they're chrome, I wouldn't worry about them.
    Holy cow, are you a pessimist!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    This is from the new Silverado I just detailed, aside from the intake plenum the rest is pretty much all plastic:
    I would be shocked if that plenum wasn't plastic just on GP's, plus why would they have painted it black if it was metal/aluminum? If it sounded a lot harder it's cuz they use a high fill on those kind of parts vs. the shrouds, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Most intakes are plastic now days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast