autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Dealer like paint protection for new black car

I am new to the forum, first post, been searching here and I am looking for the best sealant / protection to apply to my wife's new Chrysler 300. It is a Black car. The dealer wanted $1000.00 for their Paint and interior protection. I think that is "offensively" to much. I think it was possibly Dupont R 2000. I have read here on the forum that there are other similar products available such as MCKees 37 and Collinite 845. Can anyone add their opinions and suggestions for the best sealant to apply for the first coating to her new car?
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Dealer like paint protection for new black car

Hire a pro and get it fully paint corrected, decontaminated, and coated.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar with the term paint corrected? What does that mean, would decontaminated be using a clay bar?

Post Thanks / Like

That means removing all the defects instilled so far from the factory and the dealer. If you're not familiar with machine polishing take it to a pro. You'll probably pay more than the dealer wanted but you'll get a much better product and you've happier, and more importantly the wife will be too! Get referrals and ask to see the work of the detailer you choose

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked into wipe on/walk away sealants (WOWA)? They're really easy to apply and provide some great protection. Blackfire Crystal Seal, Optimim Opti Seal, and Ultima Paint Guard Plus come to mind. Wolfgang also makes one. I'm currently using the Ultima (often referred to as "UPGP" on the forum).

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think the dealer was charging a thousand bucks for a wax/sealant they were probably talking about a coating which is a totally different thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Can anyone add their opinions and
    suggestions for the best sealant to
    apply for the first coating to her new car?
    •I'll suggest to apply one of the below
    Sealants to her new car:

-Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (WDGPS)
    -Finish Kare 1000P
    -Meguiar's M21 2.0
    -Optimum Opti-Seal

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •I'll suggest to apply one of the below
    Sealants to her new car:

-Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (WDGPS)
    -Finish Kare 1000P
    -Meguiar's M21 2.0
    -Optimum Opti-Seal

Bob
    I think this is a great combination. There are a Plethora of products but this is pretty good! I would also look into getting Mike Phillips book on the Art of Detailing. Save yourself the money and buy your products and equipment and do it yourself. You will take care of your ride better than any dealership...PERIOD! You can always take care of it when you have the time.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be extremely cautious about "taking it to a pro" and having them correct a brand new car. People have to remember that most "pros" out there still work with rotary polishers and use antiquated products. There's no way on earth I would take my brand new car to some pro and have it corrected..

1st question is: Does the paint even have any swirls? Alot of people might be surprised, but some of these new cars are in fact being delivered to the customer with pristine swirl free paint these days. My 2014 Kia Sorento not only came perfect from the dealer, but they even gave us a brochure specifically about how to maintain and clean the vehicle, and I was pretty impressed that all the recommendations were accurate and up to Autogeek standards. I think it's safe to say Kia is training their employees on proper washing techniques. Because the paint on the Kia was perfect, and still to this day I haven't had to put a buffer on it.

It may not even need to be clayed at this point. Do a baggie test before thinking way ahead and involving any "pro" to tell you what you do and don't need. Best case scenario, you can simply wash, dry, and go straight to sealant. That was the case with my Kia, and I've only clayed it twice in 2 years. That's as aggressive as I've needed to be. The paint is currently smooth and looking like day 1.

You can easily test all these things yourself. Good luck, and congrats on the new car.

Post Thanks / Like

I highly take offense to your remarks regarding professional detailers! I have spent the last 17 years in business developing an impeccable reputation for my work! Your remarks about old school rotary buffers shows me you yourself have not kept up with what high end detailers do. I can also assure you that the price he was given in my area is for a sealant. I polish paint for a living and have yet to see anything come from a dealership without a problem. I think you have grouped all highly trained and motivated detailers in with car cleaners and that sir is just not right!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast