autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating experts: Do any of you coat (ceramic/SiO2) frames or underbodies?

I have not seen this discussed and a quick google search did not turn up anything.

Do any of you pros or enthusiasts offer a ceramic/SiO2 coating to the cars frames? I see coating a new car/truck's frame as almost more beneficial then coating the paint. You southern, non-salt, nice weather folks are exempt

I see how easy it looks for guys like Zach McGovern to spray Carpro's Dlux on wheels. Is it possible to spray Dlux or even a Hydro or Gyeon Wet Coat on a clean new car frame? Obviously a lift/hoist are almost mandatory. I would think this would be a great upsell on a regular paint coating. You can save a car's clear coat if it's totally wrecked after even 10 years, but an abused/rusted frame after 1-3 years in WI winter is beyond rescue, short of major paint work and money.

I also see a huge benefit to preserve the original rust free painted surface of new car's frames.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating experts: Do any of you coat (ceramic/SiO2) frames or underbodies?

I don't see any value in this... the underside of vehicles take such a beating that a nano coating will be worn down quickly. The protection of a nano coating in this environment is minimal, especially compared to spray on underbody/rust prevention type coatings that are made specifically for this application.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Problem solved. That didn't take long for an expert to chime in.

I hate the look of rubberized undercoating, but I was hoping a coating could offer some protection. Im seeing it as stronger than what it is. I obviously don't have any experience with coatings.

A weekly reapplication of Dlux, would that work? Just kidding.

Thanks Zach

Post Thanks / Like

Well I did this for the first time this year but i used Cquartz UK. Basically took my tires off and coated everything metal (not disks) with cquartz. So the shocks/springs/caliper/plastic wheel well covers/parts of the control arm that I could reach etc etc. Mind you this is a new 2016 Golf R I got in the spring so its still in great condition. I will probably be rust proofing it also but thought since I was working in the area anyways figured I would coat what I could.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    Well I did this for the first time this year but i used Cquartz UK. Basically took my tires off and coated everything metal (not disks) with cquartz. So the shocks/springs/caliper/plastic wheel well covers/parts of the control arm that I could reach etc etc. Mind you this is a new 2016 Golf R I got in the spring so its still in great condition. I will probably be rust proofing it also but thought since I was working in the area anyways figured I would coat what I could.
    I'm guessing it is treated like a garage queen and the suspension would stay maintained detail wise with or without a coating. I would go crazy trying to keep my new car new looking. I'd want a bubble car cover good thing I don't have the money for a new car. Does Tata still make cars?

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had a garage,

I actually park it in my driveway and will be driving it this winter. I had the wheels off cleaning the wheel wells and figured hey since im in here I might as well coat everything to add a little bit of protection. I do keep it in the best shape I can which is hard being a daily driver but hey at least I know it will be in better shape then if I was not to do all of this

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    I'm guessing it is treated like a garage queen and the suspension would stay maintained detail wise with or without a coating. I would go crazy trying to keep my new car new looking. I'd want a bubble car cover good thing I don't have the money for a new car. Does Tata still make cars?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    You do realize that VW actually does a really good job already with rust proofing right?

The ONLY places I ever see rusting on newer VW's are where the foam piece sits on the inside of the front fender and pinch weld under the door gaskets. Otherwise that car is loaded with cosmoline to prevent rust.