autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bought new toyota 4runner black..is there a wait time to polishing /clayiing.

Hi...new black toyota is less than 1 month from port.
    Im already noticing the spiderwebbing.

with a new car less than 1 month delivered from toyota to us port is there a wait time to let new paint cure prio to

claying polishing and carnuba waxing.

the suv came with "auto sealant applied" at port

also..possuble to remove spiderwebbing by hand or start with a DA?

also new to machine DA..and reading posting about ce
    lear coat removal...would polishing 2x a year remove clear coat completely after 7-10-15 year?

yes..all new guy questions...appreciate the help

been hand detailing since teen but getting my head around this DA thing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just bought new toyota 4runner black..is there a wait time to polishing /clayiing.

get a DA! trust me, you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner. no need to wait, you can go ahead and clay/polish/wax right away...

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro Foam Pad System

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just bought new toyota 4runner black..is there a wait time to polishing /clayiing.

I apologize for this one comment: Why the hell did you buy BLACK??????????????????????????????

You will need a polisher to level paint - The paint is already cured. Protection is the only thing that you would have to wait on new paint. You can polish fresh paint right away. (for future reference)

Possible to remove clear in 5 seconds, but in 2016, we have products available that can protect the finish permanently. Or semi permanently - up to 3 years like Optimum Gloss Coat. So there is no reason to polish cars often.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are fine to work on the paint, and even though it's new, physical and chemical decontamination may be needed.

Here's a thread from Mike

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new ride. Welcome to the world of black too.

Get a DA Polisher and appropriate polishing pads. My recommendation would be to:

Wash
    Iron-X decontaminate it
    Baggie Test - see if clay/Nano Sponge is needed or not
    Polish
    Seal it up. Being a black SUV is a PIA to keep perfect, I'd coat it. McKee's or PBL are cost effective and easy as can be to use.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toolhead View Post
    Hi...new black toyota is less than 1 month from port.
    Im already noticing the spiderwebbing.

with a new car less than 1 month delivered from toyota to us port is there a wait time to let new paint cure prio to

claying polishing and carnuba waxing.

the suv came with "auto sealant applied" at port

also..possuble to remove spiderwebbing by hand or start with a DA?

also new to machine DA..and reading posting about ce
    lear coat removal...would polishing 2x a year remove clear coat completely after 7-10-15 year?

yes..all new guy questions...appreciate the help

been hand detailing since teen but getting my head around this DA thing
    you can make that truck beautiful with hand polishing alone.Wash it real good light clay and be gentle.apply a glaze then a really nice product such as collinite.Being easy with your wash methods will get you far.Even though a da is pretty easy to use,I would buy it a practice on something.If you feel you are confident,griots finishing glaze with a medium cut foam pad will yield awesome results .Then top it off with powerlock sealant or hi temp wax for 17.99 .Buy some tape to control splatter on trim and cowls this is a promblem for beginners .Use a fine clay after your first intial wash.good luck have some fun and take your time .

Post Thanks / Like

You can only hide imperfections by hand,by using glazes and carnauba waxes or a cleaner wax.we don't know what kind of condition it's in .So safe to say start with hand application and practice with a da.As time goes along you can pickup and master the skill in one month easily with a da.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good answers so far but to answer your question of clearcoat degradation over a number of years of buffing and polishing...don't worry about that. Proper use of a DA for many years removes so little paint you are good for the life of the vehicle. That's not to say frequent compounding with heavy cut pads would be advised but you shouldn't need to with proper washing and drying techniques.

Congrats on the new ride and from a fellow black vehicle owner, there's NOTHING better looking than mirror black! (just my opinion).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys..lots of helpful suggestions.

Agreed..ill practice the DA on another vehicle before hitting the new ride and black was 100% the only color i would buy. Yes PIA to maintain but at the age where its gona be an enjoyable hobby and great excuse to spend more time in the garage....... (and buy more tools and accessories)

Okay back to detailing...

One member mentioned waiting on the sealant..
    I grew up always hearing and oracticing not to wax a new car for at least six months.

Again..this vin# came fresh from toyota port about 3 weeks ago. ( i know that some "new cars" may actually be 6-8 months on a dealer lot..but this vin is 3 weeks fresh from port so im thinking about 1 month shipped from toyota.

Should i wait for to paste carnuba wax and if so how long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast