autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior Detailing: Spraying product on microfiber vs. directly on interior?

This is probably a bit of a silly topic, but I find that it is little techniques that can save you a lot of time. I used to spray my product (Meg's APC, Meg's QD, McKees Interior Cleaner/Protectant, whatever it is I am using) directly onto the interior surface. This was messy...over spray gets on the glass, gets on the seats, etc. I started spraying my product directly on the microfiber towel and then going at it. So much easier and faster, not to mention it saves a ton of product. I could see this working well for exterior things as well, although it probably isn't quite as crucial.

So what technique do you guys use?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Detailing: Spraying product on microfiber vs. directly on interior?

I do the exterior first then glass.I keep the interior last and I get the whole overspray thing.The last thing you want to do is glass over and door jambs.I use a pump sprayer for the carpets keeping the tip almost buried into carpet.same deal with apc on door panels etc,I will soak a towel with either a pump or trigger style bottle and spray away from the car.Sometimes I will change the routine.If I get a nasty exterior and interior I will wash the outside and liberally spray the seats and panels and wipe them clean as the car is still wet.Then detail the exterior and just put the finishing touches on the interior,shaves a lot of time off this way.When doing details you will find that on a majority of cars you will either get a decent exterior or nasty interior or vice versa.Its very rare to get both,unless you are working on bombs all the time.So when you approach a job the very first thing in my mind is a simple system of working smart.Before I wash car matts are blasted with steam,this allows them 3 to 4 hrs to dry.I have a wide spackle spreader that I will use to squeeze and force the remainder of water out of mats then hang them to dry.Another way to clean a interior is the bucket method I will do ext first then fill up a bucket with cleaning apc,then put it inside the car so your are ot dripping apc on the door jams and keeping the oversprspray at zero.I never spray apc direct on to panels it's a risky thing to do.On Lexus Toyota and BMW the door panels turn green if it's a tan colored interior.so now you have to nuetralize it .I have had some many disaster cars that require pressure washing with the carpets and seats still in the car.just work smart so you don't have to go over everything twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Detailing: Spraying product on microfiber vs. directly on interior?

Seats and arm rests - Spray on the surface directly and agitate with a brush, wipe off with towel.

Anywhere and everywhere else - Spray on towel or Spray into the fibers of the brush.

For my own car I do interior after.

For another couple of cars I did, I did interior first.

EDIT: I don't do stuff like full on overhauls and extractors on what not.

Just a hobbyist so I do what I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Micros on interior drag to much.Get some quality bar mops much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    Seats and arm rests - Spray on the surface directly and agitate with a brush, wipe off with towel.

Anywhere and everywhere else - Spray on towel or Spray into the fibers of the brush.

For my own car I do interior after.
    For another couple of cars I did, I did interior first.
    fyi,steering wheels that are filthy stoners glass cleaner in aerosol makes a awesome cleaner for that.cover cluster spray liberally on to wheel let it dwell for 2 minutes and simply wipe.No scrubbing involved at all.samething goes for door panels and leather shifter nobs.Avoid agitation much as possible to much time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    fyi,steering wheels that are filthy stoners glass cleaner in aerosol makes a awesome cleaner for that.cover cluster spray liberally on to wheel let it dwell for 2 minutes and simply wipe.No scrubbing involved at all.samething goes for door panels and leather shifter nobs.Avoid agitation much as possible to much time.
    You really like taking risks eh? Mixing PBL with Gyeon and now Stoners invisible glass on my vinyl steering!! By door panels you mean the hard plastic door cards yes?

Seriously though, I will one day try this and I hope you ain't messing with me! :P

What I do now is spray some meguiars QID on my towel and grip my steering wheel and clean it. Takes everything right off!

Post Thanks / Like

You really like taking risks eh? Mixing PBL with Gyeon and now Stoners invisible glass on my vinyl steering!! By door panels you mean the hard plastic door cards yes?

Seriously though, I will one day try this and I hope you ain't messing with me! :P

What I do now is spray some meguiars QID on my towel and grip my steering wheel and clean it. Takes everything right off!
    QID on leather steering wheel and shift knob. Works amazing. Leaves the wheel clean and not sticky. Helps when you keep them clean and never let them get too dirty. Don't let your wife use stinking lotions. "Yuck"

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon wetcoat is a awesome spray detailer.I spray wetcoat onto micro and simply wipe one panel at a time.Dont spray onto paint then wipe.Tried Gyeon topped off with a little pbl works great and I did it outside about 95 degrees and even use it on the glass and rims.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Gyeon wetcoat is a awesome spray detailer.I spray wetcoat onto micro and simply wipe one panel at a time.Dont spray onto paint then wipe.Tried Gyeon topped off with a little pbl works great and I did it outside about 95 degrees and even use it on the glass and rims.
    hehe, I asked this in the previous thread too. PBL Detailer, booster or the actual coating? :P

I got some detailer and booster with my last order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    QID on leather steering wheel and shift knob. Works amazing. Leaves the wheel clean and not sticky. Helps when you keep them clean and never let them get too dirty. Don't let your wife use stinking lotions. "Yuck"
    Agreed. I used Meguiars Leather cleaner and conditioned on my Gti's steering and it was amazing, but the conditioner left it a little slippery. I had to though as I cleaned it after 1 year of owning the car. DOh!

Since I got my Accord I have been on top of it so QID is allll i need and love it sooo much! I love the feeling of the steering wheel after !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast