autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the Hardware but Which Software Now?

So I got a FLEX XC 3401 VRG HD back in May along with the following Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch pads.

1. Orange
    2. Blue
    3. White
    4. Black
    5. Yellow/Gold

I had some leftover products from 2006, the Mothers Ultimate Wax System with paste carnuba wax along with Mothers California clay bar, which I had only used once so I didn't want to throw them all away even though they were a decade old.

I clayed the car twice--I didn't get to wax one weekend and left the paint bare which was a mistake. I then used the blue pad with Step #1 - Pre-Wax Cleaner. I used the white pad with Step #2 - Sealer & Glaze and the black pad with the carnuba wax paste. After I was all done, I noticed that there were still swirl marks probably due to:

1. The old age of the products
    2. The type of products--Mothers Ultimate System probably wasn't meant to take out swirls

Last week, I let some dead bugs sit on the hood which left a nice etched spot in the clearcoat.

So what kind of products should I get this time around?

I've been browsing the Menzerna, Pinnacle, and Wolfgang products and am not sure what combination of products to buy. What kind of sealant or glaze should I get? Are those the same thing? Also, what kind of wax(es) should I get?

Sorry for the noob questions. Links to other threads with this information would be helpful too! Thanks.

- James
    2013 Mini Cooper S, Chili Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got the Hardware but Which Software Now?

I am a total noob as well, and I have had excellent results with the Pinnacle products, Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish. I used the LC orange pad with the Swirl Remover and the White pad with the Finishing Polish. You will get much more professional advice from those that follow...

Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed with Orange/White pads will be all that you ever really need if you're not looking for "professional results". If you're wanting to keep your DD looking sharp, I'd advise to go that route since you already have the LC CCS pads. I use Orange/White combo on virtually every vehicle I do a 1 step on.

*Edit*

Let me rephrase. If you're not wanting to try a bunch of different products, that's the one I'd go with. It's affordable, and does just what you want it to. If you're interested in two step corrections, trying different products, there's a list of probably 100+ different combos.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get some advanced twins from pinnacle.pretty straight forward and user friendly.Then keeping the cost down I would go with collinite paste or liquid wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andy0902 View Post
    I am a total noob as well, and I have had excellent results with the Pinnacle products, Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish. I used the LC orange pad with the Swirl Remover and the White pad with the Finishing Polish. You will get much more professional advice from those that follow...
    Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys.
    - James

Post Thanks / Like

Product selection, in terms of being optimal for the car you have, is related to the paint you are correcting and it's characteristics..

The best advice in that regard will come from those who have done your vehicle type repeatedly..

Always worthwhile asking within the models most popular forum...

IME any products not optimal for my own car found use on wife's / friends cars, so nothing goes to waste...

All the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadwell View Post
    Product selection, in terms of being optimal for the car you have, is related to the paint you are correcting and it's characteristics..
    That makes sense.

Always worthwhile asking within the models most popular forum...
    I looked through the list of forums on autogeekonline.net but didn't see that forum. Can you provide a link?
    - James

Post Thanks / Like

If you'd rather keep things simple, then here you go. Add these two items to what you already pictured above and you'll be able to perform just about anything you want to do to your paint.

Mothers Professional Paint Restoration System

Go ahead and add this one too and you'll certainly be covered should you want to mildly polish and wax in one step. This one comes in both a pasted and liquid, just like your Pure Carnauba Paste comes in both.
    12 oz. Mothers California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax Paste

Add those to what you have and you can have a chemical paint cleaner, a glaze, a cleaner wax or all-in-one product that lightly polishes/fills/waxes in one true step, or you could compound and polish separately as well as use a finishing wax with that Pure Carnauba Pasted wax...one of the best all around true waxes on the market. Yep...for another $35 you can cover all your bases with one brand and not have multiple brands sitting around drying up or going to waste. All the above are top notch products.

I own many brands of compounds and polishes. It can really get daunting if you let it, trying to keep up with this or that.

Don't be fooled. Mothers makes some top notch products...some of the best. Even that 3 step system. Keep it simple, save your money...that's why this forum is here...to get products talked about to entice you to buy. Keep your money. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

We're a fickle bunch and we like to utilize and play with different products, but it isn't really necessary. That #3 in that system shines awesome and rivals the longevity of some synthetic waxes/sealants. It may not last a year, but it won't matter if you apply it often enough.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Product selection, in terms of being optimal for the car you have, is related to the paint you are correcting and it's characteristics...
    I hope I am misinterpreting what you've stated, but it sounds like you're saying that the OP's choice of products fits his style of car. I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, just trying to read between the lines and perhaps I shouldn't. That Mothers 3step system may not be the best choice for real paint correction work, but make no mistake those 3 products are not only good for that type of car, but can be used on any car made regardless of the price of that car, especially if you add to them the products I linked to in my other post. Mothers products are no slouch...that includes the 3 step system, cleaner wax, and their pro compounds and polishes. With those...you could polish just about any car and paint system out there. In fact, their abrasive technology in their pro products I linked too (but user friendly/weekend warrior size) is top notch modern abrasive technology and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for anyone, for any vehicle. Again, I hope that I have misunderstood you. If so, my apology, and perhaps you could elaborate.

I know of street rods that were compounded/polished/glazed/sealed with nothing but Mothers products and I personally know those street rods sold for nearly 6 figures. They looked good enough that you'd never know what brand was used to make them look that way. Modern abrasives make polishing paint much easier. Use a less than acceptable abrasive technology and you better know what you're doing.

EDIT:
    Just to prove my point. Here's a link to a thread and truck that was built by my uncle and while it didn't sell for 6 figures it was well past the mid-way point (unless he wasn't truthful, and I doubt that). Compounded/polished/sealed...exclusively with Mothers products...just like many others before it and many since.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-w-flames.html
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast