autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Metal Polish Recommendations for Blue Titanium Tip Exhaust

I just purchased a new Invidia Q300 Titanium Tip exhaust for my 2013 Subaru STi, and as many of you may know, Subaru's are notorious for throwing carbon out the exhaust due to the horizontally opposed boxer. Currently I use 1Z Chrome & Metal Polish on the OEM exhaust tips, but with the new exhaust having the blue titanium tip, I am concerned that the 1Z will be too harsh. I want to keep the blue titanium tips bright and clean. I am thinking of picking up some P21S polishing soap, will this be a good product for this purpose? Will it be too harsh? Thanks in advance.

This is what the exhaust tips look like. (Photo borrowed from RallySportDirect)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metal Polish Recommendations for Blue Titanium Tip Exhaust

I'm a huge fan of Flitz. But I would reach out to them on through their website to see how it would affect your tips. It also wouldn't hurt to contact Invidia to see what they recommend.
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner and Brightener on my Mercedes satin exhaust tips and it worked great. Cleaned and polished but did not effect the satin finish. Seems pretty mild, but I can't say how it would work on the blued tips.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the Amuse titanium exhaust tip on my E46 M3. I had the blue burnt tips as well. My friend also had the same exhaust. I wouldn't use anything that is abrasive. My friend used a polish and the blue part started to lighten. I was told to use WD40 in addition to regular washing with car wash soap. WD40 worked fine.

Post Thanks / Like

You will be well served by the Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener. My neighbor has blue tips like that on his ST and uses this polish to clean them up.

Here is a review I put together on using it.
    Product Review: Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vegas View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Flitz. But I would reach out to them on through their website to see how it would affect your tips. It also wouldn't hurt to contact Invidia to see what they recommend.
    No offense but I don't think Invidia knows how to clean their tips too, because they are not as professional as most of the people here regarding detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffnopus View Post
    I used the Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner and Brightener on my Mercedes satin exhaust tips and it worked great. Cleaned and polished but did not effect the satin finish. Seems pretty mild, but I can't say how it would work on the blued tips.
    I am guessing that metal polish with hand will not change the color but i could be wrong.
    my reasoning is that the color supposed to come from a chemical change of property to the metal that's why it turns blue, if and it does not just change the color of the surface but they whole tip metal should have changed the color, so even you polish out the surface, the underneath should still be blue, unless.... the tip is dyed instead of heat treated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackychai View Post
    I am guessing that metal polish with hand will not change the color but i could be wrong.
    my reasoning is that the color supposed to come from a chemical change of property to the metal that's why it turns blue, if and it does not just change the color of the surface but they whole tip metal should have changed the color, so even you polish out the surface, the underneath should still be blue, unless.... the tip is dyed instead of heat treated.
    I wouldn't assume anuthing. The FLITZ, as mentioned above is great stuff, but abrasive. Depending on how dirty they are, you might want something a little milder. I boutgh the Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener on a whim but it works very well. My exhaust was not all that dirty but I didn't want to lose the matte surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Give P21s or s100 polishing soap a look.

Post Thanks / Like

The blue used to be an indication the mixture was too rich on my motor cylce exhaust.

I used to remove with metal polish which was super abrasive.

So I would use PS21.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer