autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused on Dilution Ratio

Hey guys. I feel really silly for asking this but I'm lost here on how this bottle works on Dilution ratios. This Bug Squash here says dilute 3 parts to 1.

How do I read this bottle to know how much product too add compared too water.

Much thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Confused on Dilution Ratio-1473366065422-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confused on Dilution Ratio

The little mark besides 1-3, that's your dilution ratio for 3-1. Fill your bug squash to this mark and top rest of bottle with water to max mark. That's your bottle done with 3-1 ratio

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twinnyk View Post
    The little mark besides 1-3, that's your dilution ratio for 3-1. Fill your bug squash to this mark and top rest of bottle with water to max mark. That's your bottle done with 3-1 ratio

Thanks sir. I was confused because wasn't sure the 1-3 mark was the same as 3-1. I feel like a putz now

Post Thanks / Like

For future reference there is a dilution calculator out there to help, Google " dilution calculator"(I don't have the link on my phone)and it come up. Great little tool to fall back on whenever in doubt.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No worries buddy, no such thing as a stupid question. I use to to wonder the same years ago when 1st start messing around with dilution ratios except I had plain bottles with no dilution ratio on the side lol. But technically your right in that 1-3 and 3-1 could mean 2 different dilutions but generally speaking the smaller parts ratio will always be for chemical concentrate, you will rarely ever see 1 part water to 3 parts concentrate ☺

Post Thanks / Like

In case you don't use bottles with markings or not able to look up ratios, just add the parts per numbers together (1/10 is 1+10, 1/5 is 1+5) and divide the capacity of empty bottle from the sum, and you're good to go.

For example:

1/10 into a 16oz container means 16oz bottle divided by 11 = 1.45 oz. 1.4 oz of concentrate (I tend to round it off to 1.5 for simplicity) and fill the rest with water.

1/5 into 32oz means 32 divided by 6 = 5.3 oz.

You get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kona, don't rely on the bottle, sure it's accurate but you should know how to do it without. Bug squash is great and that's the dilution I use so think about it like this 3 oz of water and 1 oz of bug. or 6oz of water and 2oz of bug for a total of 8oz. or 9oz of bug squash and 3oz or 12 h2o and 4bs or 15 and 5 or 18 and 6 or 21 and 7.

The last one works perfect at the 28 oz mark. 21 ounces of water plus 7 ounces of bug squash equals 28 ounces. if it was a 4:1 ratio the same applies.

4 +1 =5
    8 +2 =10
    12 + 3 = 15
    etc.

Post Thanks / Like

If we had gone metric all of this would be easier

Post Thanks / Like

Another easy way to deal with dilutions that gets rid of the "measurement" aspect all together... You can use anything at all-- a spoon (probably not practical), a cap from a laundry detergent bottle, an orange juice cup, a milk jug. It really doesn't matter. You can use anything you have on hand that will hold liquid. Just choose something that is a practical size.

Now take that "cup" and...
    On a 3-1 dilution, fill your "cup" 3 times with water and 1 time with product (pour each into your bottle).
    On a 6-1 dilution, fill your "cup" 6 times with water and 1 time with product (pour each into your bottle).
    On a 9-1 dilution, fill your "cup" 9 times with water and 1 time with product (pour each into your bottle).

You get the idea. Repeat until you get up near the top of the bottle you are filling. It's a handy method when using unmarked bottles and when you don't have a marked measuring "cup".

Just make sure you fill the "cup" to the same level for each product every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all the input. The bottle was 36 ounces. I believe it was 8 ounces of bug squash the rest water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast