autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Help and advice needed for Maguiar's 105 and 205

I tried to polish a black Honda yesterday and could not get any progress due to the problems captured in the images. It was extremely hard to wipe off the polish'd residues. It's the same with MF and foam finishing pads. What's the proper solution for this? Things were fine when I polished another car a month ago with exact same procedure😭 Please give some advice to help me out , thanks 🙏🏻
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help and advice needed for Maguiar's 105 and 205-image-jpg   Help and advice needed for Maguiar's 105 and 205-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help and advice needed for Maguiar's 105 and 205

Honda paint is on the soft side. M105 has a short working time as well as a slight learning curve. Overworking it will lead to it turning like concrete on the paint and hard to remove. Temperature and humidity will play a factor as well. Perhaps try a wetting agent to extend the working time.

This is why I don't recommend M105 anymore. M100, M101 and even Ultimate Compound are better alternatives as is D300 (foam and microfiber pads).

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Honda paint is on the soft side. M105 has a short working time as well as a slight learning curve. Overworking it will lead to it turning like concrete on the paint and hard to remove. Temperature and humidity will play a factor as well. Perhaps try a wetting agent to extend the working time.

This is why I don't recommend M105 anymore. M100, M101 and even Ultimate Compound are better alternatives as is D300 (foam and microfiber pads).
    Using water to extend the buffing cycle will help with that, however it becomes more of a nightmare to buff off after this.

105 problem is that its not just a learning curve, it has to be the perfect temperature in order for it to perform, it is a drama queen in my opinoin very high maintenence high humidity, too cold, too hot, its a very frustrating polish to work with.

Learning something is one thing but having something not work due to weather conditions is a whole different level of frustrating unless your name is mother nature lol.

I agree with Guz op on the other meguiars polishes, 105 is a pain to work with, the other polishes are much more user friendly. I am a pro and I have parted ways with 105 there are polishes on the market that are the exact opposite of everything I hate about 105.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a million different things that could be going wrong... one of which is that the paint system you are working on just doesn't like M105. This is why it is typically a good idea to have several different compounds and polishes on hand for the best performance on any paint system.

For now, don't worry about the compound residue stuck on the panel. After your finish polishing with M205 it will all wipe off easily. If you are still having trouble with wiping off M205 then you might need to find another finishing polish to use that will perform better on the car you're working on. M105/M205, once you get through the learning curve, is a fantastic system that will perform flawlessly on 99% of the cars you work on. You might just be working on that 1% that doesn't want to cooperate.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Guys thanks very much for the pointers, didn't consider the environment factor, it was 100% humid��

It's time to try new system like recommended and wait for sun comes out

Will update how it goes����

Post Thanks / Like

Save the 205 and get the griots correcting cream.When using the correcting cream,put a dab of 205 on the pad works really good.

Post Thanks / Like

Try some Menzerna products. I am not against using 105, 205- I tried it many times when I thought a particular car could benefit from it and it was a little disappointing most of the time when compared to Menzerna. Menzerna is more of a broad spectrum product. I really can't think of a car it has let me down on . You can use a ton of different pad combo's as well. You just can't beat 'em- much more forgiving in that they have longer working times, don't dry out as easy and easier to wipe off thus reducing the chance of re-introducing marring from rubbing too much as one example.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of agree with Rastaral39

I like having Menzerna polishes available at all times, even though my go to paroducts are M100/M205, and Ultimate Compound/Ultimate Polish.

The Menzerna polishes work great on softer, sticky paint because of the way their abrasives are suspended in the liquid.

The Menzerna polishes have a thick, oily consistency. The spent abrasives, and removed paint retreat into this film, rather than on the painted surface, and are easily wiped off the paint. On some paints, the M105 will work it's way into the pores in the paint, which is hell on earth trying to remove.

The other compound I use with finicky paint is Rupes Zephir. Yes, it works on the PC with both Cyan Hydrotech, and Green B&S pads just fine.

I'm not at all an advocate for having every brand of product out there, but I like to have both Menzerna, and Meguiar's in my arsenal. For the above reasons.

When M205 is leaving a deposit, I know there is a problem. Usually that stuff wipes off effortlessly.

Post Thanks / Like

When I compound I use M105 90% of the time. I have run into the problems you shared. Usually it's the panel temperature that causes the polish to flash not to mention the buffer adds heat as well. Soultion is simple work on the side of the car that is out of direct sunlight, go to a less aggressive pad, work smaller area, shorten the number of passes and most of all use a spritz of water. Do not drench the pad. You can also run water over the panel to cool it down just before you buff it.

You really have to keep the pad clean in these conditions as well. Good luck.

105/205 is a great combo.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Save the 205 and get the griots correcting cream.When using the correcting cream,put a dab of 205 on the pad works really good.
    I agree. Keep M205 but find a better compound. If you wish to stick with Meguiar's, I listed a few that work much better than M105.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast