autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Thickness Guage

Ordered the CM8801FN after reading some reviews and received it today. The machine does not provide accurate readings or even read the same readings. After following the instruction, the device does not calibrate back to 0. I maybe have got a defected one, and will not want to reorder and go through this hassle again. Should I go big and get the defelsko? Has anyone had good experience with those or the highlines?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Thickness Guage

Does not calibrate back to zero when, on the calibration disc? Eddy current is not the most precise or repeatable measurement, if you put it down on different spots on the car you will get different readings, even spots that are close to each other (when I say different, I mean a tenth of a mil if you are reading in inches).

This might help you too: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...calibrate.html

Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine for about 2 years and it still measures fine. Never had a problem getting it to zero out on the shims or calibrating it if necessary.

This video made by a member here was pretty helpful: https://youtu.be/PWM4NRPAxLE

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Thickness Guage-20160902_004058_resized-jpgPaint Thickness Guage-20160902_004117_resized-jpgPaint Thickness Guage-20160902_004123_resized-jpgPaint Thickness Guage-20160902_004128_resized-jpgPaint Thickness Guage-20160902_004132_resized-jpg

Here are some of the readings from the thickness guage. The calibration shim measures 1.9 mils/49 microns. Placing the guage on the same shim reads numbers from low 1.3 to high as 3.1 mils. I did config it using the youtube video and was wondering if these were pretty accurate for these budget devices?

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the plastic wrap is peeled off of the metal calibration discs. It's really really thin... I didn't notice it at first when I originally got mine.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Does not calibrate back to zero when, on the calibration disc? Eddy current is not the most precise or repeatable measurement, if you put it down on different spots on the car you will get different readings, even spots that are close to each other (when I say different, I mean a tenth of a mil if you are reading in inches).

This might help you too: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...calibrate.html
    I took couple of readings on the calibration shims that was in the box. The shim plastic piece reads 1.9 mils. I am getting crazy readings from 1.1 mils to 70 mils. Watched that video and tried to fix it without avail ;(.

[QUOTE=Heisenberg;1420780]I've had mine for about 2 years and it still measures fine. Never had a problem getting it to zero out on the shims or calibrating it if necessary.

This video made by a member here was pretty helpful: https://youtu.be/PWM4NRPAxLE[
    Already watched it without any luck. Thanks for the link though .

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    Make sure the plastic wrap is peeled off of the metal calibration discs. It's really really thin... I didn't notice it at first when I originally got mine.
    Plastic wrap, whch was green was removed before taking readings. Measuring the calibrating shims of 1.9, I would get some crazy numbers from 1.1 up to 70 mils!

Post Thanks / Like

I had that gauge for a few years and was able to calibrate it and use it without issues. I know someone else who thought they had a defective unit, but it turned out he wasn't exactly following the steps to calibrate it. Are you sure you're doing everything right?

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I will try again tonight after a honda Crv full paint correction "wish me good luck"!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had an issue with mine either. Always reads zero on the calibration disk. I hint this is a very reliable device as far as I can tell. Damn handy when compounding or sanding clear coat. Frustrating when you can't get things to work properly, good luck. Always go back to the basics and try recalibration get again.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

So I returned the old one and purchased the same one on amazon. The readings can be accurate. However, if I place the device on different areas of the shim, I get vast numbers (+- 10). I am starting to think the device is not defective, but there must be something wrong with the shim? Maybe the thickness of the shim, like a cars paint, is different in different areas. Can anyone chime in? Thanks!