autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed Topping Question

I applied Speed/Poxy roughly 5 moths ago on my SUV. Endured a nice salt ridden winter and is still beading water up nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    I applied Speed/Poxy roughly 5 moths ago on my SUV. Endured a nice salt ridden winter and is still beading water up nicely.
    One of my favorite combos for sure
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I wouldn't wipe it down. I used HD Speed & topped it with 845 (3 coats) back in late August.

Although the beading isn't quite what it was right after I applied this combo, 8 months and one awful NY winter later it is still beading water very, very well.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valky View Post
    There is a thread on testing several sealants lately, and HD poxy is the first one to die within a month, and that is true from my several experiences with them. Also, there is several report as well that Speed will die within 2-3 weeks, and I confirm that.

You are going to use 845, which is super durable wax, do you want something pretty week between car and 845 or not? Do you think it will interfere with 845 and clear coat bonding or not? For me yes, I will wipe down with IPA or something. There is a reasons why coating require direct bonding, good wax either. But in the end you is the one who make the call, wipe down the whole car only take few minutes.
    Thank you both for the quick responses.

I am leaning towards doing a IPA wipe down, even if I dilute it more than I normally would. I have 3 vehicles I'll be doing here soon (2 will get the Speed treatment and another Menzerna), so I'll be sure to post my experiences/results and what I determined worked the best for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, but why would you do an ipa wipe down after using an aio and what do you hope to gain by doing it? Why not just use a straight polish if you are going to do an ipa wipe down and follow up with an LSP?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Just curious, but why would you do an ipa wipe down after using an aio and what do you hope to gain by doing it? Why not just use a straight polish if you are going to do an ipa wipe down and follow up with an LSP?
    Yeah, that was my whole reasoning for asking. I wanted to use Speed but also top it with what I feel is a really solid, durable wax in 845. And obviously the IPA wipe down allows for the wax of choice to bond better to the paint, but being that Speed is a AIO, I didn't want to completely undo what I just did with speed via a ipa wipe down. But on the flip side, I want the 845 to be able to serve its purpose as well. I could of course do a multi stage correction, but seeing as how this is my gf's car, I'm not trying to put in the 12-15hrs I would on my car lol (she could care less as long as it looks clean)

Post Thanks / Like

X2 on topping right after with Poxy. Goes on & comes off so easily so why not. I think it adds a little more pop to the end result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
    she could care less
    Well at least she cares a little... But if she Couldn't care less, then I'd assume you wouldn't even bother to wash, let alone polish her car. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Well at least she cares a little... But if she Couldn't care less, then I'd assume you wouldn't even bother to wash, let alone polish her car. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol this is true. She cares, some. But I think my main reason is that I belive her cars upkeep is a direct representation of me Maybe I'm doing it for the wrong reasons, but in the end, the car will look good - all that matters, ha.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed with an immediate top of 845 or now I usually use double coat (paste version of 845). Speed alone in so cal is 30 days max with lots of impurities imbedded, speed with 845 is about the same with a little less impurities imbedded, BUT speed with double coat is 2 months and very few impurities imbedded.

Topping with poxy I found the poxy looks good but it's thin, doesn't feel protective and usually wears off in 30 or less.

I really like the speed/ double coat but I'll be looking in to ceramic coatings to see if I can avoid all this work and washing & double waxing every 2 months vs just washing every month and coating once or twice a year?

Post Thanks / Like

This kind of question come up from time to time and I still cannot understand the regulars here posting answeres like yes, top it with this or that...

HD Speed is an AIO. You use an AIO to save steps. So if you are gonna put a dedicated protectant after correcting, why use an AIO? You will get far better results in the correction step with a one step compound than with Speed. So instead of using Speed to correct, then apply a sealant on top (that will very likelly melt the montan wax it contains with it's own solvents and lay down a more durable LSP), just use a one step and apply the sealant you want. You will get far better results doing this than what you are planning to do.

11. Likes Bobh59, yakky, SWETM, Paul A. liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast