autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed Topping Question

Quote Originally Posted by Avgguy View Post
    Ok, so it's almost a 3 year old post but I have the same experience.... top Speed with 845 and I get 8-9 months.... not a scientific test but eye test it's still beading well after 8 months. If I DON'T top Speed it stops beading after 6-8 weeks max.

Help me understand why it's not worth topping/topping doesn't work/useless, etc. (provided I decide to invest the extra time to top). Not being argumentative just wanting to understand.
    I don't agree that topping an AIO is useless. I get the argument against it though.

The reason I use Speed over a dedicated polish most times is because it is such a great product to work with. Applies/removes very easy, smells great, and it leaves paint incredibly slick & glossy.

Just to note, I have used dedicated polishes and topped them. I don't see the difference between topping say, Griot's Correcting Cream, or Speed.

If a product works as good as Speed, why not use it? AIO or not.....

JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes acuRAS82, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avgguy View Post
    Ok, so it's almost a 3 year old post but I have the same experience.... top Speed with 845 and I get 8-9 months.... not a scientific test but eye test it's still beading well after 8 months. If I DON'T top Speed it stops beading after 6-8 weeks max.

Help me understand why it's not worth topping/topping doesn't work/useless, etc. (provided I decide to invest the extra time to top). Not being argumentative just wanting to understand.
    The more recent arguments (from years ago) seemed to think that Collinite would last longer if not topped on Speed. Therefore using Collinite on a clean, freshly polished, bare surface would be the alternative they are pointing out. I myself can’t claim that as true though; just pointing out what others were saying.

I personally go either way, and have no problem topping AIOs. I’ve never noticed poor longevity from LSPs topped on an AIO vs the LSP on bare surface. Plus I do think having the AIO can change and enhance the look (Speed being so glossy), Essence for instance even though its meant as a primer.

I am a strong proponent that using some AIOs saves a lot of time and ease due to waiting for the wipe off. I don’t blame anyone for wanting to take advantage is AIO ease even if topping after.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like the option to immediately top just the "high impact" areas. Adding a little spray sealant to the front clip, hood, and mirrors only takes a few extra minutes. Then a few washes down the line I can "top" the whole vehicle, still well within the protecting life of the AIO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2159ClassicRed View Post
    Alone it doesn't seem to last very long. Month max is what I would use it for. Top it off with a spray wax after a wash will keep things in check. I've used it for so many cars. I wish it had a bit more correction to it. Does anyone know how to adjust the correction on it in terms of speed on the DA or pressure or amount of product used?
    Mix 2 drops of hd one on the pad with the speed. Cuts great and let's speed to it's job. Super combo.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456