autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Audi A8

Post Thanks / Like

Help! Audi A8

Hello everyone!

I hope that everyone is well ☺️

I have a severe dilemma, I have been detailing my own cars since time immemorial and have come across a challenge!

So my phantom black paint (metallic) has been clayed several times before and recently I saw a video where Mike demonstrated to take a plastic bag and rub it over the paintwork, if it felt like glass it's perfect. The problem I have is I have tried Meguiars smooth clay kit to no avail and today tried a more aggressive bilt hamber claybar which again did nothing, I have used dodo juice detailing spray and used it liberally, so no marring and perfect application however no result.

The entire body feels horribly bumpy when I run my hands across with a plastic bag and it's like little bumps all over. My car has never been resprayed or in an accident so bodywork and paintwork is intact and factory finished.

I am thinking of purchasing a rotary polisher and a dual action but need to know what is it exactly that is causing this problem? 🤔

Any help suggestions will be greatly appreciated 🙏🏼

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! Audi A8

It could be overspray paint, or it could be tiny little tree sap drops. Try wiping it and letting it soak a minute with mineral spirits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    It could be overspray paint, or it could be tiny little tree sap drops. Try wiping it and letting it soak a minute with mineral spirits.
    Jeff, you may be right, as I have parked a few times at work to return at the end of the day and find tiny sticky drops of gooey stuff all over the car and ants crawling everywhere, but would get the car washed immediately.

Is there a specific product I can purchase? I live in London, England. How about metal fallout removers? Will it be aggressive enough to move it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mineral spirits is paint thinner Help! Audi A8, won't it effect the paint on my car?

I have half a bottle left somewhere but worried about my paint Help! Audi A8

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by suf420 View Post

recently I saw a video where Mike demonstrated to take a plastic bag and rub it over the paintwork
    The Baggie Test - It's a real eye opener!

The Baggie Test as seen on Competition Ready TV with AJ and Mike Phillips

The problem I have is I have tried Meguiars smooth clay kit to no avail and today tried a more aggressive bilt hamber claybar which again did nothing, I have used dodo juice detailing spray and used it liberally, so no marring and perfect application however no result.
    Sounds like both a hard substance and a strong bond to the paint.

The entire body feels horribly bumpy when I run my hands across with a plastic bag and it's like little bumps all over. My car has never been resprayed or in an accident so bodywork and paintwork is intact and factory finished.

I am thinking of purchasing a rotary polisher and a dual action but need to know what is it exactly that is causing this problem? ��

Any help suggestions will be greatly appreciated ����
    If you don't mind re-polishing the paint I'd recommend getting a Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel, Mitt or Pad.

You can use the towel and mitt by hand either when you're washing the car or after you've washed and dried the car with clay lube.

You can use the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad with any dual action polisher.

We went over all 4 of these option at our Roadshow Detailing Class in London.

Pictures from Autogeek's Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing Class at Waxstock in England!

Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitts to Mechanically Decontaminate the paint during the washing process.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels - Also to Mechanically Decontaminate the paint during the washing process.

These types of products are not cheap so I share a tip I use to identify which side I'm currently using and which side is been worn out.

Here's traditional detailing clay because in our classes you learn to do it the proper and correct way....

And Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

If you've read my book, "How to use the FLEX 3401 you already know what I think about these cool tools!

The thing about using these more aggressive mechanical means of remove above surface bonded contaminants is that you increase the risk of marring the paint. You'll see this on black paint but not light colors but it could still be happening on light colors it's just the human eye has a harder time seeing it.

For this reason, my own PERSONAL rule is that IF I'm going to do ANY mechanical procedure to remove above surface bonded contaminants I'm already planning on doing at least ONE machine polishing step.

Mike Phillips

Re: Help! Audi A

If you think it might be overspray, then besides Mineral Spirits, you can try Turpentine which is a solvent derived from tree sap.

Like dissolves like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! Audi A

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If you think it might be overspray, then besides Mineral Spirits, you can try Turpentine which is a solvent derived from tree sap.

Like dissolves like

Help! Audi A8, so the mineral spirits would be fine on the car paint and not affect it adversely?

Post Thanks / Like

This coming from a relative novice, but is there a chance the clay lube being used was providing too much lubrication to allow the clay to do it's job? Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I don't think so. As Mike said it would be bonded contaminants to the paint.

Update: I used white Sprit liberally on a microfibre cloth and rubbed it on all the body panels. Then went over with clay once again. I must say that 70% of it is gone however I can still feel slight bumps. I guess it may take another 1 to 2 rounds of the white spirit and claying to completely remove everything Help! Audi A8

I've applied Poorboys black hole glaze and finished with a layer of Dodo juice purple haze and its not looking too bad Help! Audi A8

Still need to purchase the clay towel/mitt and try that though.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, what would you suggest I purchase in this case.

A rotary or dual action to use for both removing the contamination with the autoscrub pads and then proceed to polish with a lake country pad (which one?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast