autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DetailedByPrecision: Review & Update on Opti Coat 2.0. 2 year 8 month test. Severely Neglected Experiment. SF Bay Area Auto Detailing

When Opti Coat 2.0 came out everyone went full speed ahead and started to purchase it for their own use. I was one of them who bought 2 tubes after reading reviews and watching videos of water sheeting, hydrophobic properties, ease of use, and durability of the product. I polished a couple panels of my test car which sits outside 24/7 everyday rain or shine prior applying the coating. I wanted to see how long the coating can last with only 1 wash a year. The only time it got wet was when it rained. Other than that, I've never rinsed it down, detailed it, nor washed it. The reason I decided to take this approach is to see how far I can push the product. I questioned some of the claims of the product back then because it seemed too good to be true. Do I still question it to this day? You bet... But I can safely say to my knowledge the coating lasted at least 1 year of showing signs of hydrophobic properties and water sheeting without ever washing it. After the 1 year bench mark I sort of forgot about it and didn't take notice of it that much anymore. Onto the pictures.....

Starting point. Pressure washed off surface, washed with Carpro Reset, Iron X, Claybar, Rinsed with water

DetailedByPrecision3303 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3304 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3305 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3306 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3307 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3308 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3309 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Based on the photos above, it looks pretty bad at this point. Next, I decided to test the fender I also coated. Same process from wash to decontaminate. First pic is for reference on how clean it look from 1st day of applying Opti coat 2.0

DetailedByPrecision3310 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3311 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3312 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3313 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3315 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3316 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

I decided to use my favorite drying aid, Opti Seal, to see if it can lay down a layer of it's own properties...

DetailedByPrecision3317 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Back in business.....

DetailedByPrecision3321 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

DetailedByPrecision3322 by Limny Kuang, on Flickr

Well, coatings are definitely a good choice for long term protection if you maintain it by at the minimum monthly washes. Coatings also changed the auto detailing industry ever since it came out years ago. They are not immune from neglect which shows you need to put some effort into taking care of your paint coating investment. This might have turned out differently if it was garaged, but I don't have space to store 2 cars at the same time. San Francisco housing design from way back then wasn't that good in terms of parking garage spacing wise... Let me know what you guys think of this..... Thanks.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DetailedByPrecision: Review & Update on Opti Coat 2.0. 2 year 8 month test. Severely Neglected Experiment. SF Bay Area Auto Detailing

I'd say that's pretty damn good for not doing anything. Give you props Limny for not washing it all that time. Thanks for doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DetailedByPrecision: Review & Update on Opti Coat 2.0. 2 year 8 month test. Severely Neglected Experiment. SF Bay Area Auto Detailing

Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share with us Limny.

Beautiful pictures as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite the torture test. So there wasn't much if any beading left. Did the OC release the dirt easily or did it take some elbow grease to remove the accumulated dirt?

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I'd say that's pretty damn good for not doing anything. Give you props Limny for not washing it all that time. Thanks for doing this.

I agree! It was my second car that I don't drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share with us Limny.

Beautiful pictures as well.

Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Quite the torture test. So there wasn't much if any beading left. Did the OC release the dirt easily or did it take some elbow grease to remove the accumulated dirt?

That was the idea behind it.... No beading, and no sheeting left. It rinsed off easily with the pressure washer.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

This reminds me that I really need to use my syringe if 2.0. I'd nearly forgotten about it