autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Newbie Questions

I just got my first DA, the porter cable 7424xp. I would like to start using it soon and have been reading on here and have watched some YouTube videos also but still have some questions.
    I am looking to start on my truck, it is a white F150 supercrew. I would say overall the paint is in pretty decent shape but has never been professionally detailed. I have waxed it by hand a few times since I have owned it and I would speculate the former owner did too. I figure that a white vehicle is a good one to start on vs my wife's black SUV.
    I have some brake dust that turned into little rust specs that I would like to get off obviously first. What is recommended for that? I used some polishing compound by hand on it and it seemed to work but took quite a bit of work. Is this something I can use the DA for? I tried a clay bar in one spot before I used the polishing compound and it didn't seem to touch it. The kit I received has 4 samples (V32, V34, V36 & V38) and also a scratch & swirl remover.

I am hoping someone can give some recommendations as to what the best steps are. I am hoping to get rid of the rust specs (seems to come off with lots of elbow grease) and then likely go over the truck with the scratch and swirl remover and then get to a polish & wax.
    Can I apply all of these steps with the DA and then wipe off by hand? As far as a wax I have a couple ones left that I would like to finish up before I get any new. Can I use those or do I need to buy something specific?
    Sorry for all the questions - Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Newbie Questions

Welcome to the group, you should be fine with what you are staring out with. I'm relatively new myself and have learned "patience" is a good tool. You will get a variety of replies on here but most will agree that start with the least aggressive and work up. There are several who are not CG fans as well. I've tried them and wasn't thrilled. A basic is HD Speed which works on some correction, many will suggest the old standby M105/M205. In any case use a good LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPros IronX should help to the rust spots off and out of the paint.

CarPro Iron X Lemon Scent, auto iron remover

There are others that make a similar products, but I believe IronX is supposed to be the best, or have the most active ingredients.

Whatever wax you like should be fine.

You can also clay with your PC.

Nanoskin Car Care Products, nanoskin autoscrub system

Many wax by machine too.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I decided to return the sample kit from chemical guys. I bought meguiars ultimate compound and also the polish. I ordered some collinite 845 also. I am not sure which pads I should use. I have black, blue, red, orange and white.
    I am hoping that the compound will take out the brake rust specks.
    I am planning to wash, clay bar, compound, Polish, then 2 coats of 845. Does this sound right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FormerGMCdriver View Post
    I decided to return the sample kit from chemical guys. I bought meguiars ultimate compound and also the polish. I ordered some collinite 845 also. I am not sure which pads I should use. I have black, blue, red, orange and white.
    I am hoping that the compound will take out the brake rust specks.
    I am planning to wash, clay bar, compound, Polish, then 2 coats of 845. Does this sound right?
    Research Iron X, is safer than "elbow grease" to remove the iron spots on paint. I'd suggest wash,IronX,clay, then do test spots to see what results you get( I'd start with white pad with the UP, if you need more cut go to orange and UC) then wax.
    Since you are new and working on a truck I'd suggest to do one panel then inspect to see if the results are to your liking. A lot of people that are new to polishing tend to do the whole truck without checking as they go, work small and inspect

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-car.html
    Good info here, IronX chemical reacts with iron to dissolve them. It's a common issue on white,especially if you live up north

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info... I am hoping to detail my truck this weekend so I will check a supply place near me to see if they have something there like iron x or that exact stuff, if not I may have to postpone until my order would come in.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I took your advice and ordered some Iron X today... Now I just have to wait patiently until it comes in on Friday. Hopefully the kids cooperate with my goal of detailing my truck Saturday while my wife works.
    Thanks for the advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice above. Also, You'll find your new PC a dream to use. Watching all the videos can be very helpful, but very intimidating also.

But don't worry, you'll be used to using this machine within the first minute. Good luck, man!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I wish you luck with the kids!

I think of Mike's statement of "working backward" when I try to do work with my 4 and almost 6 year old around. Thank goodness I'm mobile.

Remember, make the paint bleed, not the children.

Ha, maybe IronX will work as a child repellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast