autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing tire dressing from chrome clad wheels

Looking for a product to remove the aerosol tire shine from the chrome clad (feaux chrome on plastic) wheels on my Ram truck. I normally wash them with a separate mitt which works fine but after I spray the tire shine on some inevitably gets on the chrome clad I've tried windex but it doesn't seem to get rid of the hazing completely. If I need a two step process to remove the tire shine and then another product to shine the wheels I'm ok with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing tire dressing from chrome clad wheels

Try using a Waterless Wash. A Waterless Wash should easily remove any tire dressing overspray from your chrome clad wheels. Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash, no rinse car wash

Post Thanks / Like

Yes try a waterless wash or spray the applicator with tire shine product then apply. I had a '12 Ram and before I found this place also used a spray product. It was recommended to use a water based product like Car Pro Perl or Opti/Bond,this has made a big difference. When you apply via applicator vs spray you'll see less sling on the truck, keeps weird splatter marks off your wheel wells and product doesn't get on wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

A quick detailer also works.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    Try using a Waterless Wash. A Waterless Wash should easily remove any tire dressing overspray from your chrome clad wheels. Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash, no rinse car wash
    Thanks, will have to try this. I sure like the idea of it...

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Yes try a waterless wash or spray the applicator with tire shine product then apply. I had a '12 Ram and before I found this place also used a spray product. It was recommended to use a water based product like Car Pro Perl or Opti/Bond,this has made a big difference. When you apply via applicator vs spray you'll see less sling on the truck, keeps weird splatter marks off your wheel wells and product doesn't get on wheels.
    My last tire shine product was a gel with a foam applicator. I still have some but the designated applicator just got abused trying to spread the product around the sidewall design. The ease of the aerosol product is nice with that in mind. Did you use the products you mentioned while the rim was still wet from the tire shine or did you allow it to dry?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    A quick detailer also works.
    I had a little bit of this left from my claying last weekend so I gave it a shot on one wheel. I have to say I'm impressed...it worked very well although the tire shine had dried on for a few days but still...very nice! I only had enough for that one wheel so I did the rest with windex again which also worked but I know it doesn't work that well right after you get the tire shine on the wheel while it is still wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there, RFT!

I have the chrome clads on my Ram too.

All above suggestions are good. But I use Plexus to get just about anything off these particular wheels.

Works quickly, and looks great. But one minor drawback is you need to apply, wipe, turn the cloth, wipe, then buff, and buff again. 2 extra minutes a wheel. No big deal to me.

I actually Plexus them, then apply Collinte 845 afterward, and they have lasted 4 NY winters with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

An apc should work fine. I used to use windex or whatever apc we had on the chrome clad wheels of my wife's old grand am. We had it for 180k miles and they still looked good.