autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tuf Shine Tire Clear Coat - good applicator?

Hey guys,

I love Tuf Shine Clear Coat for my tires, but it is a total pain using the included orange foam block (especially if you have tires with more aggressive sidewalls). I am wondering if there is a better applicator such as a brush that I can use to put it on and apply it? (also something that is a little more conservative with product would be nice as the Tuf Shine Clear Coat isn't "cheap")

I am open to other product as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tuf Shine Tire Clear Coat - good applicator?

Cool I like that! I think I should try a gel with that brush...just thinking about it I don't think the Tuf Shine Clear Coat would work well with any brush...

Post Thanks / Like

When I used gels, it worked like a charm! Dunno about it not working with tuff shine. I know MCKEES tire coating kit comes with these brushes and is the prefered method to apply that tire coating.

Currently found GTECHNIQ T1 Tire/trim. LOVE IT!!

Gtechniq T1 Tire/Trim

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-tire-coating-kit.html
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    When I used gels, it worked like a charm! Dunno about it not working with tuff shine. I know MCKEES tire coating kit comes with these brushes and is the prefered method to apply that tire coating.

Currently found GTECHNIQ T1 Tire/trim. LOVE IT!!

Gtechniq T1 Tire/Trim
    I may try the McKees Tire Coating as they recommend that Carrand Brush. I can use the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner I have to clean the tires before hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Carrand brush. It works well for spreading gels and getting into all crevices. I will say it's kind of awkward getting the gel on the brush. It seeps down into the strands and usually winds up on my hands. Can't seem to get that part down yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    I will say it's kind of awkward getting the gel on the brush. It seeps down into the strands and usually winds up on my hands.
    Any tips on doing this to avoid loosing product that seeps into the brush? I would think you can squirt some gel into a small container and dip the brush.

Does this leave the tires a wet look? The product pictures dont do it much justice.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a question I can answer.

The best applicator for Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is a US$.50 chip brush.

I have used the Carrand brushes mentioned above. Brand-new, they're about as good as a fifty-cent chip brush, but the clearcoat makes those brushes a little too stiff for future applications (which can be a year away, thanks to Tuf Shine's excellence). I can't speak for other tire coatings, but Tuf Shine makes the Carrand's bristles too stiff. You could simply dispose of the brush after your Tuf Shine application and use a new one in six months to a year when you reapply, but I feel better about throwing away a fifty-cent chip brush.

I just reapplied Tuf Shine to our van's tires for the third time. This last interval was thirteen months, and the only reason I reapplied was because I had the wheels and tires off the van. They really didn't need it. That's how great Tuf Shine is.

The chip brush is not my idea. I got it from Mike Phillips, who tried both the Carrand brush and a chip brush.

(This is off topic, but the secret to a great Tuf Shine application is "surgically clean" (quoting Mike Phillips) tires, which you can get by using a carpet or upholstery (Cyclo) brush on a DA polisher like the Porter Cable or Griot's. I use the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner Concentrate undiluted because the only time I have to use it is when applying Tuf Shine, so it ends up costing very little. Once the Tuf Shine is applied to clean tires, your regular car wash soap will keep them clean.)
    — Jaddie, Max's proud chauffeur
    2012 Honda Odyssey & 2016 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Consoleman View Post
    Any tips on doing this to avoid loosing product that seeps into the brush? I would think you can squirt some gel into a small container and dip the brush.

Does this leave the tires a wet look? The product pictures dont do it much justice.
    You're right. Mike Phillips suggests using a lid. I forgot what I used, but it was a little deeper than a lid, but smaller than a cup. Dip a chip brush in there and go to town!

Tuf Shine doesn't leave a wet look on the first coat. I believe our experiences vary, but for me it was like this:

1. First coat yielded what you'd expect tires to look like when brand-new.
    2. Second coat yielded a nice matte finish.
    3. Third coat yielded more shine but not a wet look.
    4. Fourth coat left a wet look.
    5. Fifth coat left gangster shine, which is just fine since that shine will diminish slightly as soon as the tires get a little bit of dirt and brake dust on them.
    — Jaddie, Max's proud chauffeur
    2012 Honda Odyssey & 2016 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have a air blow out gun w/brush or a porter cable. Will the tuf shine still look good if I dont use those products?

However many months down the line when the shine is faded, Do I have to surgically clean it then too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast