autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Issue with my Cquartz application on 2016 Black MINI

Hello everyone.....
    I was fortunate enough that within the past 30 days I aquired two brand new 2016 vehicles, a 2016 Black Chevy Silverado and a 2016 MINI Cooper S 2DR. I decided I would polish and seal both vehicles with Cquzrtz UK. My prior experience with Cquartz UK consisted of doing a friends white BMW a little over a year ago. On to what's important....
    I have the GG Boss 15" System, including the pads and creams.
    Here was my process,
    I used foam canon soap dispenser on vehicle and washed with Microfiber kit.
    I them dried vehicle, applied Iron X over entire vehicle.
    I washed and rinsed again, then used Boss orbital with yellow pad and perfecting cream and polished enire vehicle.
    I wiped down entire vehicle with CarPro Eraser.
    I then applied Cquartz UK one panel at a time, then buffed off. I did the two vehicles 2 weeks apart.
    I live in southern Michigan and it has been a hot and humid July. Initially when I applied the Cquartz it was hard to take off and I read I should remover much quicker. On the second vehicle I tried applying to smaller sections and removing much sooner. in some cases I would wipe off and within 3o seconds wipe off, in which case it would come off much easier, or often I found the wet product spreading and I would continue to buff off. After an hour I applied CarPro Reload and buffed out with MF towel.

The issue is both vehicles have multiple oil spots and the hood on my MINI appears to have a smeared appearance to it when in the sun light. I think I have to polish off and try again. What am I doing wrong!!! So many hours only to be disappointed with final outcome. How aggressive of a polish do I need to use to remove the Cquartz? I feel I have probably introduced more swirls in the paint than I ultimately have prevented by having to buff off Cquartz so hard and reload, only to have to do it again. Is there another nano sealant I should be using instead of Cquartz on Black vehicle. Do I need to wait for lower temps and lower humidity! Of course never applied in sunlight always use a 10'x10' cover shade. Love the glass appearance of Cquartz and reload hydrophobic properties, just can't get a uniform professional consistent finished result. Also will this product really help with future swirls in black paint from hand washing and drying?!

Thanks for any insight!
    Last edited by blazzo; 08-01-2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Issue with my Cquartz application on 2016 Black MINI

Quote Originally Posted by blazzo View Post
    Hello everyone.....
    I was fortunate enough that within the past 30 days I aquired two brand new 2016 vehicles, a 2016 Black Chevy Silverado and a 2016 MINI Cooper S 2DR. I decided I would polish and seal both vehicles with Cquzrtz UK. My prior experience with Cquartz UK consisted of doing a friends white BMW a little over a year ago. On to what's important....
    I have the GG Boss 15" System, including the pads and creams.
    Here was my process,
    I used foam canon soap dispenser on vehicle and washed with Microfiber kit.
    I them dried vehicle, applied Iron X over entire vehicle.
    I washed and rinsed again, then used Boss orbital with yellow pad and perfecting cream and polished enire vehicle.
    I wiped down entire vehicle with CarPro Eraser.
    I then applied Cquartz UK one panel at a time, then buffed off. I did the two vehicles 2 weeks apart.
    I live in southern Michigan and it has been a hot and humid July. Initially when I applied the Cquartz it was hard to take off and I read I should remover much quicker. On the second vehicle I tried applying to smaller sections and removing much sooner. in some cases I would wipe off and within 3o seconds wipe off, in which case it would come off much easier, or often I found the wet product spreading and I would continue to buff off. After an hour I applied CarPro Reload and buffed out with MF towel.I would wait overnight before applying reload to freshly applied CQuartz.

The issue is both vehicles have multiple oil spots and the hood on my MINI appears to have a smeared appearance to it when in the sun light.The oily appearance sounds like to much reload. I think I have to polish off and try again. What am I doing wrong!!! So many hours only to be disappointed with final outcome. How aggressive of a polish do I need to use to remove the Cquartz?Try using Essence and you don't need to use IPA or Eraser, as Essence is like a primer for CQuartz. I feel I have probably introduced more swirls in the paint than I ultimately have prevented by having to buff off Cquartz so hard and reload, only to have to do it again. Is there another nano sealant I should be using instead of Cquartz on Black vehicle.I have black paint with no problems., Do I need to wait for lower temps and lower humidity!Could be, dunno..although I have applied it in 90 degree weather with high humidity. Of course never applied in sunlight always use a 10'x10' cover shade. Love the glass appearance of Cquartz and reload hydrophobic properties, just can't get a uniform professional consistent finished result. Also will this product really help with future swirls in black paint from hand washing and drying?![COLOR="#FF0000"]It may help a bit, but you still need good washing techniques (2 bucket and a foam gun helps).

Thanks for any insight!

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend NOT using CQuartz UK in a hot and humid environment... that will make your life easier from the start. UK was created for us in the cooler climate of the UK. CarPro recommends a temp range of 40-80F when using UK, however I have found that adding humidity to the equation can make the product considerably more challenging to use in temps above 65F. CQuartz Classic is far more user friendly in my experiences!

For now, I would recommend using a light polish to fix that troubled areas (or entire car if there are issues throughout). This should only require a light polish, 1-2 quick passes with a polishing pad and something like M205 (or Essence if you have it), unless you really slathered the coating on there and left a lot of residue on the surface.

Once polished, wipe with IPA or Eraser and then recoat. If you're using UK again, use it in a wipe on, wipe off manner. Do not wait for it to set up. Wipe first with the supplied large suede, then follow it with a moderately plush towel (CarPro recommends their Boa towels). If you notice some light smearing when wiping, ignore it at first, then follow up with a slightly damp Boa towel later. Work in the garage or shade and make sure the panels are absolutely cool to the touch. If there is air flow (wind, breeze, fan), that may also effect the application. I would also recommend not applying Reload right away unless you absolutely have to... instead, wait 24+ hours.

In the future, there are other coatings that will work much better for you in your environment, so don't make yourself work any harder than you have to

Retired Professional Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your response, I am going to order a bottle of the Essence, lightly polish the car, inspect and reapply. I'll hold off on the Reload Application until the next day and I think I am going to dilute the reload per the suggestions I've read in other forums on Black cars and use the product very sparingly. I am also going to order the CQ regular and save the UK either for a late fall reapplication or Spring.