autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coatings

Are these something the average Joe can do? I'm considering learning more about them and doing it some time this year or the next. I'm aware it's an awful lot of work. But, as opposed to paying thousands, I'm cool with putting the sweat equity into protecting my $45k truck.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coatings

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic is quite simple to apply well using the Lake Country foam coating applicators ( http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country...pplicator.html ) once paint is prepped (clay/compound/polish/wipedown as necessary). Polish Angel coatings ( avaliable on sister site autopia) seem to be easy to apply as well.

The coating isn't the work, the perfecting of paint prior to application is the 'work' if ya don't enjoy that kinda thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard great things about Wolfgang and McKee's coatings, but I can say firsthand that PBL coatings are incredibly simple and forgiving.

Any residue(a.k.a high spots)buff off very easily with a good MF towel. Just make sure to use many lights and look from all angles so you don't miss any.

Gloss is really good, even on white.

That picture was taken after sundown, and in a rush. The gloss really was super deep and glassy. The wheels and glass were also coated with PBL coatings.

The most important thing when it comes to coatings is the prep work.

Thorough wash, decontamination(mechanical, i.e. clay bar or substitute, and optionally an additional chemical step, i.e. an iron remover), any necessary or desired paint correction and polishing(coatings don't fill, any and all imperfections will be 'sealed-in'.

Then, make sure to use a coating prep product. I would recommend the synergistic prep product(whether a polish or spray)just to eliminate another variable. This step is crucial as coatings need a totally naked and clean surface to bond to.

Then apply the coating, wait the recommended time until it 'flashes' and check for any high spots.

After application make sure to wait the manufacturer recommended time for the coating to cure before getting it wet or washing it.

Hope that helps!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all.

I know the hard work will be prepared prior to coating, but it's work involved nonetheless! Haha

I'm going to do my first full correction soon. Decon, clay, polish and all that. I don't plan to use a ceramic after this polish, but the next one probably next spring. I'm sure I'll have learned a bit from this time and do better then.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, fwiw, my truck is black.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings are something the average "Joe" can do. Be aware that you will want to dedicate at least 2 days, especially with a large truck and assuming you will perform multiple steps of correction. Optimum Gloss Coat is probably the easiest coating to apply on the market for a hobbyist detailer. After that would be CQuartz Classic.

On a side note, be aware that there is a reason pro detailers charge thousands for what they do. You aren`t just buying the coating itself, you are paying for their experience and expertise and knowing that the job will be done right. You will quickly find out the material cost alone a pro detailer faces when performing a paint correction and ceramic coating.

Good luck!

And keep in mind.....weather will play a huge part in applying the coating.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang uber
    PBL
    McKee's
    Gloss Coat
    Polish Angel

those are the easiest.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched a Polish Angel video, and it did look easier than some others I've seen.