autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a dilemma

I'm going to be detailing my dads red Solara soon and now that we are in the middle of the everyday raining season I don't have a whole lot of time to work. I plan on washing, claying, and polishing (alot of swirls) with SSR & XMT product. To follow up I'd like to add layer of sealant (I have WGDG), but since it rains literally everyday I don't think it will have enough time to cure. I also wanted to top that off with either NB or LS. Would I be looking at a total loss of durability if I sealed then soon (ASAP) followed up with a coat of wax? What do you guys think? If you have other product recommendations fire away. I know just applying the layers the car would look outstanding, but I'd like to get some durability out of it.
    Thanks Peeps.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about parking it in a garage? Or under a shelter?
    As far as I know - carnaubas are breatheable...Pinnacle Souveran/Signature Series, DP Max Wax, Poorboy's Natty...All those pure waxes do not have any cleaners in them, so they do allow paint to breathe. And since sealants need oxygen to bond to paint properly, and it rains - that should be the only way then - seal it, then apply a coat of wax...I would let it cure for an hour or two though...
    Carnauba is breatheable, but causes water beading action, helping water to stay away from a coat of sealant.
    Keep in mind that even though carnauba is breathable, applying a coat of wax will block some oxygen, causing SOME boinding issues, meaning sealant won't be as durable as if you let it cure for 12 hours in absolutely dry conditions.

Hope this helps.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    I did my car with AIO yesterday in the garage while it was pouring outside...then topped with Souveran....both products went on and came off in LOTS of humidity with no problems as of yet:-) Then again, AIO isn't pure sealant either. I would do it under protection(garage or carport) and make sure he doesn't have to drive anywhere for a day

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. Oh and it can't be detailed under shelter. I'm kinda in the same boat with my car. I did a good polishing and sealed back in May to get me through the Hurricane season, but the car already looks like it could use a polish with some SSR1 or XMT#1. Got to love black and being a "Autogeek"

Post Thanks / Like
    you use a foam gun? you shouldn't need to polish in 1 month's time if your using your gun to its fullest potential. For instance, i have only polished the tC once, in the first week of june of this year. I've had my car since the first week of september 05. granted i need to polish again now, but we're not going to discuss that (ask meghan if you really want to know, it makes me sad to think about it )

anyways, to answer your question, why not use a wax that has sealant-like durability? if you can find it, meg's #16 works great, as does collinite's 845 insulator wax. both will give you 3 months + of durability. IW even looks halfway decent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    Thanks for the feedback. Oh and it can't be detailed under shelter. I'm kinda in the same boat with my car. I did a good polishing and sealed back in May to get me through the Hurricane season, but the car already looks like it could use a polish with some SSR1 or XMT#1. Got to love black and being a "Autogeek"
    Ay Mike, I SO hear you! I'm in the same boat as you and I totally feel your pain. In fact, the next song that I write will be "The no Garage Blues!" In fact, when I'm out shopping or just driving around, I am always casing the neighborhood to find good shade or shelters where I could do some detailing! It sucks to not have a garage!

Post Thanks / Like
    haha,.........a garage will just become a place where you store all of your junk! Trust me, it took me 3 days of my vacation just to make room to pull my car into my 2 car garage so I could detail a little. Now I can actually open the drivers side door a little when I pull the car in;-) Still working on the passenger side! It's amazing how much crap you can throw away and never miss!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would kill for a garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would kill for a garage......

of my own

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. Its bad enough I can't wash our cars in the condo development where we live. I have to go to a my parents or In-laws house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast