autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

car emblem bubbling from detailing product?

Hey all,

Excited to be part of this forum as I get more serious about detailing, although have a problem that I hope you have some insights into...

Was touching up my car when I noticed that the top of the front emblem on the car was "bubbling" or peeling (see red arrow in pic below pointing to the concern). Seems like a layer of the plastic or whatever material this is has formed a thin raised area. I lightly touched it and found it to be full of air but avoided touching it too much less it "pops."

Anyone know how this might have happened and whether it was done by a detailing product, perhaps something that accidentally got sprayed onto it?

Thank you!

car emblem bubbling from detailing product?-post-detailing-forum-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: car emblem bubbling from detailing product?

Welcome to the forum!

It's kind of hard to tell from that photo what we're looking at. How about telling us what product you used that you think might have done that?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Setec Astronomy - thinking it could be Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax cause that's the only new product I started using within the last couple of months or possibly using a rag that I didn't realize had some unknown product on it already. Or maybe cause did something in the hot sun?

Other products I use include Meguiars Gold Class car wash, Zaino clay bar (but only on paint of course), Zaino Z-PC paint cleaner, Meguiars Quik Detailer, Meguiars Hot Shine tire foam, Invisible Glass, Mothers Back-to-Black Plastic and Trim Restorer, Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner, 303 Aerospace Protectant...all with microfiber towels and pads

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really tell where that is on the car, but hard to imagine any of those products causing a problem. That Hot Shine tire foam may have some solvent carriers in it, but it doesn't look like an area you'd be spraying that on.

How old is the car? Adhesives etc. can age/degrade from age and exposure; sometimes these things just happen.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I can't really tell where that is on the car, but hard to imagine any of those products causing a problem. That Hot Shine tire foam may have some solvent carriers in it, but it doesn't look like an area you'd be spraying that on.

How old is the car? Adhesives etc. can age/degrade from age and exposure; sometimes these things just happen.
    The car's (Infiniti FX35) about 4 years old and the part in question is the top of the Infiniti emblem on the front grill (like this - just for illustration not my actual car: http://static.cdemo.com/65162279/102...hoto-Image.jpg)

the reason im thinking it's a detailing product is that i recently did a fairly extensive top to bottom detail (wash, clay, wash, hand polish, wax...etc) so maybe overspray or "cross-contamination" happened somewhere

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet if you look really close around that area that a stone chipped the plastic coating and let moisture get between the chrome trim and the trim piece. Been in the automotive business 39 years and have see this type of thing before. Just my opinion though.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

car emblem bubbling from detailing product?

Did you notice this as you were doing your detail or was it shortly after? The reason I'm asking is that when you detail your car you notice all the little imperfections. Perhaps this was present for a while and you only just noticed it as you were paying close attention to that specific area with the intent to look for imperfections to clean up while you detailed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

@WAXOFF thanks - interesting. Wouldn't be so surprising as the whole front is chipped up from lots of highway driving

@Dmb5450 thanks - shortly after but i'm one of those guys that does regular walkarounds regardless of detailing or not. I know pretty much all the scratches on the car so when something new pops up, I can usually tell right away

Post Thanks / Like

I had the blue paint in the Mercedes emblem lift with wax....
    Seems many aren't sealed...
    I have since always applied c Quartz and it seems to act as a clear coat sealing the paint in...