autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommended metal polish for chrome bits?

Hey guys, I'm looking to find out what product, process, detailing hack, trick of the trade, etc. you've found to work best for polishing the chrome trim/ strips that are normally found on older vehicles [1980's and older.]

Whether it's an early 70's Ford Mustang, a mid 70's Mercedes Benz, or a 1950's Chevy.. What have you found to work best to really bring out the shine to the metal/chrome on these older vehicles? I've heard everything from steel wool to diet Coke & aluminum foil, fill in the blank chrome polish, Mag & aluminum polish... The list goes on and on. But I'd like to get the real scoop and cut through the bull and find out what really works, or better yet what's worked for you in your experience with detailing older, classic vehicles.

Please no generic "you could try ---- Metal Polish" or any fanboy advice. I'd like to know what works from your actual experience using it. Hope to get some replies. [pics would be great too]

P.s. I've got a 1975 all original, garage kept Mercedes 450SL lined up soon, and I'm really interested in learning any key tips from the experienced before going in. As always, thanks for your consideration and taking the time to read.

Mike Phillips

Re: Recommended metal polish for chrome bits?

We've been using the SONAX Chrome & Aluminum Paste a LOT around here lately for our car projects.

Sonax Chrome & Aluminum Paste

Here's a recent example - Jeff aka GSKR hand rubbed out all the chrome and polished brightwork on Bob's 1089 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL

Pictures - 1989 Mercedes-Benz - Low Mileage Beauty All Original Beauty!

Here's all the tools, pads and products we used, if you look closely you'll see the SONAX Chrome & Aluminum Paste in the far right hand corner, up front.

We also used it on last week's project the 1969 Olds 442

Pictures: 1969 Oldsmobile 442 - Extreme Makeover! At Autogeek!

Post Thanks / Like

I see a flex being used on the 442. Is there a special pad on that made for chrome/aluminum or is it a standard pad? Cars look unbelievable!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmobile85 View Post

I see a flex being used on the 442. Is there a special pad on that made for chrome/aluminum or is it a standard pad?

Cars look unbelievable!
    Any wool or foam cutting pad on a rotary and just about any foam cutting or polishing pad on a dual action polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to get the sonax polish in my next order. I use the mothers chrome polish and the mothers aluminum polish wich works okay on certain things. I like how the sonax is an Aio chrome/aluminum. Great results!

Post Thanks / Like

@Mike Phillips. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to pick some up [I like that it's fairly priced]