autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up How to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?

Hi. Until a couple of days ago, this was not a problem. I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason; now, "There is a significant (1 cm) gap, between where the driver's side front bumper cover attaches (just below the fender). [The passenger side is normal].

How do I get the bumper cover to fit evenly (again), just below the fender without the gap?

Remedies tried (I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla S):
    1- Twice now, I've tried taking the bumper cover completely off and reattaching; however, now luck. The gap is still there. (Please see attached photos).

Thanks,
    RolloHow to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?-2-jpgHow to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?-1-jpgHow to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?-3-jpgHow to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?-4-jpg

P.S. (Of course, I'm requesting answers; which might differ from going to junkyard and buying to bumper cover- as 3 days ago it fit just fine).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?

Under the light assembly and inner fender area their is a black plastic receiver that holds the ft bumper cover
    That might need to be replaced look carefully at that and the bumper cover.. Those things let go easy if you get taped or back up from a parking curb.

3. Likes RolloMay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?

Hi. I have just come back to this thread but am still having the same problem. I read your response. Thank you. Would either of these be what you are referring to: 1- Front Bumper Reinforcement Bracket, or 2- Front Outer Bumper Cover Reinforcement Bracket?
    How to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?-capture-jpg
    How to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?-capture2-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Basically the bumpers are just clipped in. Are the slots of the bumper cover worn out and not holding to the "post" in that area? Basically the cover has a C notch sort of thing all around it and those C notches go onto a sort of post on the car. Hope I am explaining that well enough for you. Maybe those C's have opened up some or one of the nibs are worn / broken
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

6. Likes RolloMay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to make front bumper cover flush/even with fender?

Thank you for both replies. 1- Regarding the most recent reply (from dcjredline): I just bought a new bumper cover online, and thought that would solve the problem. Still no luck. I will try and take the bumper cover off and take a few photos, so maybe I can understand more of what you mean by the C notches.
    (I will post photos, soon). 2- Regarding prior reply (from mbkite), thank you also: I will do the same as mentioned; I will take off the bumper cover and then post photos. As the bumper cover is new, I have a feeling the problem is more likely; regarding the information in this post (Ie. with the car). I will check under the light assembly and inner fender area for a black plastic receiver. More soon. Hopefully the photos will also help. Thank you both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RolloMay View Post
    I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason; now, "There is a significant (1 cm) gap, between where the driver's side front bumper cover attaches (just below the fender).
    Maybe something or someone bumped into your can in a parking lot or something without leaving a scratch like damage back. I assume your fender is made of metal. That - when it's bent - mostly keeps it bent shape, but the bumper - which is made of flexible plastic - usually returns to its original shape perfectly (unless it actually breaks). This creates exactly that kind of typical gap between bumper and fender that you're seeing now.

If that's the case, then obviously the solution is to bend the fender back to its original shape. However, this might result in paint damage or unevenness ("bumpiness") in the surface. Also, it is possible that it's not just the fender that got damaged in the accident, but also some frame elements behind it, in which case you can not solve the problem by bending just the fender back, as then you'll not be able to attached it to the frame at that point anymore.

9. Likes RolloMay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

one thing you can do is drill a hole where the back of the bumpercover and the wheelwell come together .(the flat area ) unless there is already one there.

touch up the paint on the drilled hole then use a 6 or 8 mm stainless nut and bolt to secure it together,,stainless because if you ever have to remove the bumper cover it won't be all rusted up.

edit:,,I almost forgot to mention to use nylon or stainless washers as well,,I prefer nylon so it doesn't dig or scratch
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

11. Likes RolloMay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the posts (above). RE: post by mbkite (above), I took off the bumper cover and believe I did see these; however the Styrofoam pad seems to be getting in the way (Ie. too bulky), and thus not allowing them to connect. Thanks for the two new posts (above).
    I did take some photos with the bumper cover removed, and am going to post them in a new thread after edits, in a few minutes. This will give you a visual of what I am looking at.
    Thanks,
    Rollo

Post Thanks / Like

This is a common problem on BMW 3-series, the corners become separated, just enough to become annoying to look at. With my car, I accessed the area by unclipping some panels in the wheel well. I drilled a hole in the lip of the bumper (that doesn't show if flush), ran a black zip tie through the hole (don't use white, it will show), and managed to wrap it around something on the frame and tighten it. It looks like you could also access your problem area from the wheel well.