autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face DIY Paint touch up leveling, blending

I need to repair some chips in the paint of a car. I wanted to use Dr. Colorchip, but they don't carry the matching paint in the kit. I wanted to make my own SealAct solution. I want a way to smear the paint on and then remove the paint from the car, but leave the paint in the chip like Dr. ColorChip. Does anyone have a DIY formula?

I was thinking 1 part Thinner, 1 part Naphtha, and rubbing alcohol. I might have to play around with it, but does anyone have recipe they use to remove paint?

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Paint touch up leveling, blending

My concern would be is this "solvent cocktail" of thinner, naphtha and alcohol harming the surrounding paint and clearcoat?
    Mike Honcho

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Paint touch up leveling, blending

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    My concern would be is this "solvent cocktail" of thinner, naphtha and alcohol harming the surrounding paint and clearcoat?
    This is why I am asking if anyone has or knows a formula. I did some testing and the I need to reduce the Thinner for sure. Looking for ideas??

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Langka has a kit that uses your own supplied regular touchup paint

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gsbell View Post
    Langka has a kit that uses your own supplied regular touchup paint
    Yes and so does Dr. Colorchip and Chipex and so on. I was hoping to make a DIY solution as I have almost every cleaning, solvent, agents in my garage. I was also hoping since so many companies have a version of paint leveler that someone with paint and repair knowledge would know a DIY formula. Help the forum users out with a DIY solvent please. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it using acrylic enamel w/hardener added for the touch up... Then coming back about 15-30 minutes later with a t-shirt kind of material, dampened with isopropyl alcohol, and wrapped tightly around a popsicle stick for the initial leveling.

I'm not sure how readily available acrylic enamel and the associated hardener are these days but I've got a fair supply of old stuff around from my car painting days. This stuff is way beyond it's intended shelf-life but it still works fine for minor touch-ups.

I'd suggest using a single solvent as I don't think your proposed cocktail is necessary. Just experiment a little to find what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Brake Clean once and it worked. I used a Bounty towel to lightly rub off the excess paint. You need a rag or towel that has NO nap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    I tried Brake Clean once

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I think I'll buy something and try polishing first.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience as a painter I can say just this. You will never get the desired results and even more if you are a detailer and want to get everything as perfect as can be.
    Chips are very time consuming, I say this because usually there are more then 1. On the hood side, where you get chips from little rocks, on front bumper etc...
    If you have time and really want to do it I suggest something like this.
    Buy 50 ml of 1K paint based on your color code.
    Degrease, antisilicone the interior of the chip so the paint will adhere where it needs to.
    With a small, tiny brush put the paint in the chip, not too much (it will run) as we need to just make the base of the chip the same color as the rest of the panel. To note, don't put thinner in you paint as you need to have very good coverage.
    After the paint will go matt, you will need some 2K clearcoat. This clearcoat is made of 2 components. Clear and hardener. Mix very little according to clear specification but usually its 2:1 ratio. This means that for 10ml of clear you will need 5 ml of hardener.
    With a small brush apply one coat of thinner, let its sit for the specified flash time (usually from 5 to 15 min) or you can let it until the next day and you will need to come with another layer of clear and so on until the chip is on the same level with the rest of the paint and even thicker.
    The last hand of clearcoat you will need to let it cure at least until next day.
    After this, wetsand with 2000 grid until it gets leveled with the rest of the paint, buff, polish and voila, your job is done. After this you will decide if its worth the time or not.
    Thanks and please excuse my English is not my first language.
    I really hope that you could understand what I wanted to say, if not, I am here and more then happy to assist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast