autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Learning from Richy

As you may have read already from Richy's "19 year old BMW" show-n-shine post, he had another member on this board come and watch and learn. That member was me, and I had a great time. I have deep clean detailed vehicles for some time now but have yet to have an actual compounding job. Richy's work on here really stood out to me, so a while back I contacted him and began talking. I honestly wasn't sure what all I was going to learn, but Richy agreed to allow me to come and watch as he turned the completely swirled BMW into a clear mirror finish BMW. The long drive to Windsor, ON from Roanoke, VA began.

After watching for a good while, he allowed me to try out his Flex 3401 with a black TB pad and Chop Top compound. I am now hooked! First off, that machine is amazing, allowing you to use a great deal more pressure than with a DA. I learned that more pressure can be a real key to saving time while correcting horrible paint. The right machine, pad and product can make all the difference in the world! In addition to compounding, he also allowed me to use the Flex 3401 with a yellow Buff and Shine and M205 to polish portions of the vehicle. Richy does an amazing job, and I can easily see why he stays so busy! I learned that he derives his detailing powers from smoking cigars and listening to some awesome rock music. Take note everyone! I also was thrilled to get to use Optimum Gloss Coat for the first time. I used it to coat the wheels twice, and I love the stuff!

Key things that I learned:

- The right setup is key
    - Patience is critical, so take your time!
    - The right downward pressure is very important
    - Tape off sensitive areas that need protecting

In the end, I had a great time, discovered some new beer and rock bands, learned a good bit, gained a ton of confidence, and now I have a good friend in Canada!

Thanks Richy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Learning from Richy-imag3424-jpg   Learning from Richy-imag3426-jpg   Learning from Richy-imag3420-jpg   Learning from Richy-imag3419-jpg   Learning from Richy-imag3416-jpg   Learning from Richy-imag3414-jpg   Learning from Richy-imag3415-jpg   Learning from Richy-imag3418-jpg   Learning from Richy-imag3413-jpg  
    My Mobile Detailing Business- www.PrimeAutoDetailing.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Learning from Richy

Quote Originally Posted by stealthxj View Post
    as you may have read already from richy's "19 year old bmw" show-n-shine post, he had another member on this board come and watch and learn. That member was me, and i had a great time. I have deep clean detailed vehicles for some time now but have yet to have an actual compounding job. Richy's work on here really stood out to me, so a while back i contacted him and began talking. I honestly wasn't sure what all i was going to learn, but richy agreed to allow me to come and watch as he turned the completely swirled bmw into a clear mirror finish bmw. The long drive to windsor, on from roanoke, va began.

After watching for a good while, he allowed me to try out his flex 3401 with a black tb pad and chop top compound. I am now hooked! First off, that machine is amazing, allowing you to use a great deal more pressure than with a da. I learned that more pressure can be a real key to saving time while correcting horrible paint. The right machine, pad and product can make all the difference in the world! In addition to compounding, he also allowed me to use the flex 3401 with a yellow buff and shine and m205 to polish portions of the vehicle. Richy does an amazing job, and i can easily see why he stays so busy! I learned that he derives his detailing powers from smoking cigars and listening to some awesome rock music. Take note everyone! I also was thrilled to get to use optimum gloss coat for the first time. I used it to coat the wheels twice, and i love the stuff!

Key things that i learned:

- the right setup is key
    - patience is critical, so take your time!
    - the right downward pressure is very important
    - tape off sensitive areas that need protecting

in the end, i had a great time, discovered some new beer and rock bands, learned a good bit, gained a ton of confidence, and now i have a good friend in canada!

Thanks richy!
    outstanding!!!
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

I always learn from reading Richy's posts. He is very informative.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you were able to get some hands on experience from a pro such as Richy. Hopefully you learned some things about cigars to!

Post Thanks / Like

Never met the guy, but he's always been super helpful and informative.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't beat learning from the master. What a great opportunity !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Super Member coles_paint_correction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome man! Glad you got to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Collin, I had a lot of fun hanging out with you. I have never been in that position of teaching detailing before, so hopefully I did OK. Sounds like you were happy and that's the important part. You're a good guy with a good work ethic and I think you're gonna do great! It was fun helping and teaching. I have tried to help people on here and other boards since 2007. I have learned a ton since that time too. To me-->that's what forums are all about-->to learn. It's not just a place to post pretty pics. It's how you get there. Although (as I like to say) there are many roads that lead to Rome, it's good to know how the roads are different from one another and what works on one may or may not work on another.

Good friendship, good food, good music, good cigars good discussions and good detailing...I'd certainly call it a successful weekend!!

Thank you my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Never met the guy, but he's always been super helpful and informative.
    Ron, in the last 10 years I've only ever met 2 people in the detailing community outside my area: Corey Carruth and Dana Novosel. Had a blast with both guys. I'd have to tell you in private a joke I shared with Corey in front of our waiter that had him spitting out his water laughing so hard!! This is a good group of people; I wish I could meet more. I'd love to come to Detail Fest, but AG has it the same week every year which is always exactly one week after we visit Florida, so I can never come. It's a shame as I'd like to meet a lot more.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Collin on successful weekend! I can't think of a better forum member to learn from. Richy is top notch. The work you guys put into that BMW was simply outstanding!

I wish you continued success!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast