autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happens to Nano Ceramic coat after N years

The coating might not go away but it's going to get dirty it's going to get swirled it's going to get eye and particle stuck in it the whole works

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can understand the coatings better if you know the thickness. Use the thickness as your guide on how the coating behaves.

From what I gathered;
    - coatings are permanent. They'll harden over and on top of the paint and last as long as the coating can withstand the environment your cars in. I believe some coatings advertised that it will "fill" light scratches and swirls.
    - coatings are extremely thin. Probably thin as a layer of wax coating or a sealant. But obviously, they're not wax or something that degrades easily. It's ceramic or SiO2 or a combination of these? @ 1 micron = .001mm aka is extremely thin. Gyeon Mohs is .19 micron, so that's even thinner.
    - thinking in terms of thickness. It is so thin, 1 or 2 section pass of compound or polish depending on pad choice and machine will most likely remove it. But, i think what really separates from the traditional stuff is how hard it is after it's cured. So, we also have to consider the hardness of the coating. But regardless, seems like you just have to go thru the same process; test spot, soft or hard paint? .....etc.
    - Browsing thru Mike's articles, it seems like even garage kept cars get road film. That said, it's good to polish every 2-3 years or sooner anyways. I haven't came across how a coating oxidizes or will it? I'm not sure if anyone figured out if there's road film build up on a garage kept coated car either. That'll be interesting.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, I ceramic coated my brand new car with cquartz UK 3.0, 7 days ago. I did 2 coats. I like to 3rd coat , can I do after a week, or is it too late . ( reason is I am not sure if I scrubbed gently or too much causing removal of ceramic)

Post Thanks / Like

No need for a third coat. If you want more shine apply CarPro Gliss over the top.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234