autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cloudy, hazy paint finish after using Meg's Ultimate Wax

We bought a 2016 Toyota Camry Special Edition, Bright Blue Metallic late last October. I waited until early December hoping to wax the car before winter, but my wife had a triple bypass surgery (which greatly delayed any detailing efforts) and the rest of our winter weather was horrible.

In May I finally got a chance to wax the car (no clay bar) with BF Black Ice, just wanted to get a coat of wax on the car. Then in early June finally was able to clay the trunk deck, top of the car and the hood -- and waxed those panels with Meg's Ultimate Wax. Now I have a hazy/cloudy trunk deck, roof of the car, and hood. The rest of the panels (not yet clayed) appear somewhat brighter and sharper, but possibly not as crisp and sharp as they could be.

I don't believe pics would help show the problem.

Yesterday (our first great day available for possible detailing), I decided to use BF's Enhancing Polish by hand application to see if that would return the finish to original, pre-wax type condition. There is/was no change whatsoever -- still hazy/cloudy paint.

Today I plan on using the BF Enhancing Polish and my 7424-XP DA polisher to see if that will clarify the finish.

Any suggestions, ideas on what has happened would be greatly appreciated!

Spence
    It WILL BE worth it all, when you see His Face, and HE claims you as His own!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cloudy, hazy paint finish after using Meg's Ultimate Wax

Sounds like you got some marring from the clay. What clay did you use, and what was your technique (lube, pressure, etc.)?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it is probably just marring. Seems like most newer Toyotas mar really easy, but they also seem easy to correct.

I have been able to remove the marring by hand with Optimum Polish II which should be just a tad more aggressive than BF's Enhancing Polish. I would think that the Blackfire used with a DA would have no problem bringing the gloss back. I have not used the product though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I agree that it is probably just marring. Seems like most newer Toyotas mar really easy, but they also seem easy to correct.

I have been able to remove the marring by hand with Optimum Polish II which should be just a tad more aggressive than BF's Enhancing Polish. I would think that the Blackfire used with a DA would have no problem bringing the gloss back. I have not used the product though.
    I used Meg's Clay package - clay,lube, and mf towels.

I'll let you know how the DA handles it - hopefully I'll get to it today sometime.

Thanks for your responses.

Spence

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to try a cleaner wax if you have been unable to achieve any success.
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering if you ever resolved the issue? If so, did you figure out what caused it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who responded -- I apologize for not responding sooner -- overloaded at my PT job and my older sister has been hospitalized so my spare time is greatly reduced.

After the responses I did two test spots on the trunk lid with BF and WG enhancers ---- both spots came out with practically identical results, very little change.
    I did notice that if I bend down slightly to view across the roof/hood & trunk deck at a certain level the haze is not noticeable (!!!) and looks clear, like I would have expected.

Then, if a stand straight up (yea, at 72 I can still do that) and look over same surfaces the haze is very evident and the enhancers seem to have had no effect.

Basically --- I am stumped because I used the same technique on our 2012 Camry - Barcelona Red - last year and the results were excellent - great clear shine and reflections.
    Could a 10 degree temperature drop in the hour I was prepping and waxing (From about 60 degrees to 50 degrees) have caused this problem?

I will be working on the problem in the next week or so, and would appreciate any further advice.

Spence

Post Thanks / Like

Have you used a polish with any cut? you're just using paint cleaners and they really doing no cutting and just cleaning.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Have you used a polish with any cut? you're just using paint cleaners and they really doing no cutting and just cleaning.
    Thanks for responding, I haven't had much time lately, but will be using something with cut in the next week or so --- as soon as I can get to it. Didn't really want to experiment too much with a relatively new car, so will do another test spot first. I have WG products that I used last year, wanted to try BF and Megs waxes and was disappointed with the result - but until the issue is resolved it might be something I did - or didn't do --- just don't know what.

Thanks,
    Spence