autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Durability wise: Spray sealant (BF Crystal Seal) vs Liquid sealant (CG JetSeal)

Hi all,

I am quite a novice detailer, and I have newish car (little more than half a year):
    • Car: Honda HR-V
    • Color: Dark Gray Metallic (called Modern Steel Metallic)

I work in the very hot Southern California Mojave desert region, so the main factors on my car are: wind, dust, sand, constant sunlight, and heat (~110 degF summers). The place where I work doesn't have trees/shade/garage/overhangs so my car is directly in sunlight for about 10 hours a day.

As my daily driver, I try to do a maintenance wash about once every 3 weeks with ONR, a wash with wax every 3 months, and a wash with sealant and wax every 6 months.

My sealant wax routine is:
    • Wash with ONR (due to where I live, I can generally only comfortably wash in my garage)
    • QD/drying aid with Chemical Guys Hybrid V7
    • Seal with Chemical Guys JetSeal
    • Wax with Butter Wet Wax
    • Everything is applied by hand, don't think a machine is worth it for me as of yet.

Being my daily driver and the fact that I wash often, I don't want to buy new products till my current ones end. However, I have been looking on extending the protection of my car since it is the summer and the wind, sunlight, and heat are rising greatly every day.

I am considering on switching out JetSeal for Blackfire's Crystal Seal. However, is my intuition correct in that spray sealants won't last as long and protect as well as liquid sealants? I know JetSeal is advertised to protect for a year, but I've read its more likely 6 months, which is in my planning.

Thanks for all your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Durability wise: Spray sealant (BF Crystal Seal) vs Liquid sealant (CG JetSeal)

Spray sealants and liquid sealants are the same. I don't get good protection from JetSeal and much prefer BF Chrystal Seal. Do you notice streaking while using V7 as a drying aid? CG has a dedicated drying aid that I use that helps add lubrication while drying that might be better for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Durability wise: Spray sealant (BF Crystal Seal) vs Liquid sealant (CG JetSeal)

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Spray sealants and liquid sealants are the same. I don't get good protection from JetSeal and much prefer BF Chrystal Seal. Do you notice streaking while using V7 as a drying aid? CG has a dedicated drying aid that I use that helps add lubrication while drying that might be better for you.
    Cut V07 1:1, works much better that way in my experience
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Thanks for the response, and no I have not experienced any streaking. How many months of protection do you think Crystal Seal would offer me in my conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post
    Cut V07 1:1, works much better that way in my experience
    Thanks for the tip, I did not think of that. I will keep that in mind in the future to prolong the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Crystal Seal and Optimum Opti-Seal are both excellent. I can't comment on longevity as I'm always using something on my car after a wash. These are my go-to products when I'm not putting on a full LSP though. I suppose I could add they last a while and do excellent if you count the fact that I use them on my windows ever couple months.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Sealant/Wax hybrids?

Been reading reviews on HD Poxy...would it be more durable if I used that instead of my separate sealant and wax steps (JetSeal + Butter Wet Wax)? I saw that HD Poxy uses Montan Wax which has a higher melting temperature than the Carnuba Wax found in Butter Wet... sounds better for my car conditions

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to suggest HD Poxy due to their claim of having the highest temp threshold. Granted, I have not yet tested Poxy myself. I do own it and I will be applying it tomorrow.
    I also live in SoCal. I have had good luck with Jetseal, Powerlock and Collinite 845 as far as durability. Butter Wet Wax has no durability but the gloss it adds is enough to keep it in my arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used BF Crystal Seal with great results. BTW, have you clayed the paint yet? Yes even new paint has contaminates. You may want to consider that as well.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered getting a coating?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ulrads1 View Post
    I was just about to suggest HD Poxy due to their claim of having the highest temp threshold. Granted, I have not yet tested Poxy myself. I do own it and I will be applying it tomorrow.
    I also live in SoCal. I have had good luck with Jetseal, Powerlock and Collinite 845 as far as durability. Butter Wet Wax has no durability but the gloss it adds is enough to keep it in my arsenal.
    Yeah, well my concern is while a sealant/wax hybrid produces more gloss/shine than a regular sealant, does it also reduce its durability compared to JetSeal?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Have you considered getting a coating?
    For me right now, a coating is out my budget and needs considering this is a daily driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast