autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Wax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 View Post

Mike thanks for the info, IS there any/much difference in the Griots 6in compared to the 3 inch I already have? or just larger pad making it apply faster?
    HUGE DIFFERENCE

The 6" has some freakin power. You can do heavy correction with the 6" Griot's. The 3" I mostly use for machine sanding with 3" discs or machine waxing. My guess is you would love the 6" in your tool collection.

is the action the same in the 3?
    Yes. Both are 8mm orbital polishers (to my knowledge). I guess it's possible the 3" is a shorter stroke?

Is the action in the Flex alot better than the Griots?
    Now you're comparing applies to oranges.

It's BETTER if you want to detailer FASTER and avoid holograms.

The FLEX 3401 is GEAR DRIVEN orbital

The Griot's 6" is FREE SPINNING oribital

Thanks
    Rob
    This forum is here to do things like this... share info...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Wax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads?

Im leaning towards the Flex,. use it for putting wax on and maybe for what you call jeweling

Ive been using the 3M Perfect-It™ EX Ultrafine Machine Polish w/ their blue pad, turning it slow, It gets the stuff i think you call the halogram.the stuff you have to look at in the reflection of a light,this is what 3m says it gets out, the 3m stuff is not a filler and ya dont buff it dry,

If your familiar with it? do you recommenced something after the Ultrafina/ultrafine before waxing

also on the flex, which pads you recommend for the wax and in between? or buy the flex in a kit w/ some pads etc/

I would think on the size boat prob need 2 waxing pads as they prob load up etc

Do you have a video w/ sound of the flex running?

thanks
    rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads?-wax-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Im leaning towards the Flex,. use it for putting wax on and maybe for what you call jeweling

Ive been using the 3M Perfect-It™ EX Ultrafine Machine Polish w/ their blue pad, turning it slow, It gets the stuff i think you call the hologram.the stuff you have to look at in the reflection of a light,this is what 3m says it gets out, the 3m stuff is not a filler and ya dont buff it dry,

If your familiar with it? do you recommenced something after the Ultrafina/ultrafine before waxing

also on the flex, which pads you recommend for the wax and in between? or buy the flex in a kit w/ some pads etc/

I would think on the size boat prob need 2 waxing pads as they prob load up etc

Do you have a video w/ sound of the flex running?

thanks
    rob

Hi Rob,

Holograms will always be an issue and a risk if you try to finish out everything using only a rotary buffer.

If you detail cars for money then I believe you will love the FLEX 3401. It's a WORKHORSE. I can buff out pretty much anything faster with a FLEX 3401 and have dozens of articles on this forum documenting this.

Everything 3M makes is for a rotary buffer. They make nothing for dual action polishers. I think the Ultrafine will work with orbitals but the true test in on black paint and then chemically strip the paint to make sure the abrasive technology isn't leaving micro-marring.

As for pads for the FLEX 3401 - In my FLEX 3401 book I strongly recommend Lake Country Hybrid pads and I still recommend these pads today for this tool. For machine waxing a boat get get the black Hybrid finishing pads. If you did all the correction and polishing work before machine waxing then if you apply a non-cleaning wax/sealant the pad shouldn't load up. It could for very large boats to to be safe get a couple of pads.

Here's a video that will let you see and hear the FLEX 3401

Post Thanks / Like

On the FLEX 3401,which pad do I need for doing the same thing the 3m ultrafime pad woulld do? and what product

Also what pad and product would you use inbetween the above and waxing?

What pad for putting on liquid wax?

I see Lake Country 3 diff kinds of pads.I assume its a 6 1/2? Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 6.5 Inch Pads 6 Pack
    or??? FLEX XC3401 VRG HD Orbital Polisher Intro Kit - Choose Your Pads! FREE SHIPPING

Thanks for all the help

Rob

Boat has spies hecker polyurethane base coat clear coat paint

Mike Phillips

On the FLEX 3401,which pad do I need for doing the same thing the 3m ultrafime pad woulld do? and what product

This one...

6.5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish Black Pad (Single)

Also what pad and product would you use inbetween the above and waxing?

If you mean what pad would be best for "polishing" as in NOT compounding or NOT waxing but the in-between step of polishing then this pad,

6.5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish White Pad (Single)

What pad for putting on liquid wax?

This one,

6.5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish Red Pad (Single)

Well here's what I wrote previsouly....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

As for pads for the FLEX 3401 - In my FLEX 3401 book I strongly recommend Lake Country Hybrid pads and I still recommend these pads today for this tool. For machine waxing a boat get get the black Hybrid finishing pads. If you did all the correction and polishing work before machine waxing then if you apply a non-cleaning wax/sealant the pad shouldn't load up. It could for very large boats to to be safe get a couple of pads.

Paperback
    Mike Phillips' How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher Paperback Book

ebook
    Mike Phillips' How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher E-book - Download

Boat has spies hecker polyurethane base coat clear coat paint

As does this car we polished for our TV show

McKee's 37 = Winner BEST PAINT!

Post Thanks / Like

Wax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads?

For a boat this size with Clearcoat paint... I would use “Detailer’s Poli-Coat Paint Sealant It doesn’t cost a lot but it sure does last a long time. Mike you turned me onto this product in your iBooks The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine, page 338. I've been doing a lot of boats with clearcoat anywhere from 10 to 40 footers and DPCP is my go to product for large vehicles and/or boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive taking the 3m Ultrafine blue polish and blue waffle pad I think as far as I can on the paint on the deck/top,Im getting some heat on it w/ the 3m blue,The clear still has some scratches that I dont wana cut the clear down that far,Guess ill have to live with some, nobody else will ever see them anyway. I still have like you said looks like a holograms in the dark blue,when I look at it with the light bulb reflection,

Im doing this at night in my warehouse, so im taking off all the compounds and polish by hand, dont have water hose there, Im getting all the polish off with the microfiber towels

By hand, I did a test section in blue with the Klasse All-In-One,Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze,Mothers swirl remover and Meguiar's, the Mothers and Meguiars were giving to me not sure how old. they all seemed to take out some or fill in the holograms.

I also put the Liquid Souveran on top of all that test section, not sure if its just filling in the holograms/swirl,wax?

I ordered the flex with the pads you recommend and others too they should be here Tue or Wed,

I tried the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze on the sides ,but really didnt like it, maybe its me? after that I put a coat of the Liquid Souveran on the sides.

Figuring i need something besides/after the 3m ultrafine EX?

Maybe a polish to remove them? or also something that will fill the ones i cant get out and then put the wax on top?

Hopefully the Flex will let me knock this on out, Ive been averaging about 3 1/2 hours a night buffing/polishing on the deck. Im on my knees or squatting,Im putting socks on my knee's & feet protect the paint and because it usually peels the skin off them too.its getting ruff on a old fat man like me,lol

Thanks for all the help.I appreciate any other advice

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads?-greenshot_2016-07-09_14-47-14-jpg   Wax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads?-greenshot_2016-07-08_15-36-24-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

The dark blue also has a little metallic in it, that maybe amplifying it?

old pick
    Wax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads?-hustler-boat-car-show-021-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I keep getting email notifications on this thread that over a week old post, like the web site is a week behind, I have my settings set at instant on, weird,

Also on other threads I started this week Im not getting email confirmation on reply's, guess they will come in a week, I dont wana be that asshole that when people respond to a thread, the starter doesn't follow up.

Whats up?

Rob

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Strip Poker 388,

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Wax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads? - in the Auto Detailing 101 forum of Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Strip Poker 388)---

guess they dont make a foam pad for my 10in Orbital polishers,
    ---End Quote---
    I'm guessing you're talking about one of these?

*TOB = Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader* (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-spreader.html)

Image: http://www.autogeekonline.net/galler...Spreader02.jpg

guess they dont make a foam pad for my 10in Orbital polishers,
    ---End Quote---
    The answer to your question is "no". This is because these old school buffer are designed to stretch a bonnet over a foam backing pad that is permanently attached to the buffer.

In order to use it with a foam pad you would have to attach some VELCRO to the foam backing pad so modern foam pads could "attach".

I've seen guys to this by the way and somewhere on this forum is a thread where a forum member shared how he converted his old school TOB to use modern foam pads. Of course it was still only good for spreading out a coat of wax, not any type of compounding or polishing as they are too slow and wimpy for this type of work on modern clearcoats.

I prob need ck into the Orbital w/ the foam pad you recommended,ive got a bunch of stuff I polish on pretty regular

hell I prob already spent 3-400 in the 3m stuff just restocking
    ---End Quote---

Two suggestions... If you're going to be detailing cars and boats for the long run, (like me, been doing this since I was a kid), then to compliment the rotary buffer you already own get one of these,

*Porter Cable 7424XP* (Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher) or *Griot's Garage 6"* (Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher FREE SHIPPING) dual action polishers.

Most people go for the Griot's as it has more power and a better warranty than the PC. With one of these tools you can,

Machine sand - I show this in my boat detailing book
    Machine compound
    Machine polish
    Machine wax
    Machine scrub tires, carpet, upholstery,

NOTE: If you like, I have articles, videos and pictures showing these tools doing all these things.

Or go full out and get the *FLEX 3401* (Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer) - here's my quote....

"With the FLEX 3401 you can power through any detail job"

That means since this is a gear-driven orbital polisher the pad simply will not stall out like it will on ALL the free spinning orbital polishers on the market. This means you can knock a project out faster than any other tool without burning the paint or leaving holograms.

And of course, you can machine wax with the FLEX 3401

*Pictures & Comments: July 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!* (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...amp-class.html)

Image: http://www.autogeekonline.net/galler...php?file=98732

Image: http://www.autogeekonline.net/galler...php?file=98736

Image: http://www.autogeekonline.net/galler...php?file=98689

Image: http://www.autogeekonline.net/galler...php?file=98682

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...69824f34abca20

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n&folderid=all
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Autogeekonline.net | 7744 SW Jack James Dr | Stuart, FL 34997 | 800.869.3011

Post Thanks / Like

Im still getting a email notifications of a reply on this thread. and no replys? weird. but Im still polishing,lolWax aplication on 40ft boat, 10in bonnet's? or use foam pads?-hustler-reflect-2-1-jpg

Ive been trying to use the Klasse all in one and its drying to a crust,Having to start over when it does it, ended up using the Mothers cleaner wax then put the Pinnacle on top, Sux, loosing daylight trying do it after work in the boat slip. I really wanted to do a coat with the Klasse,then put the Pinnacle l on top, make a clear waxed looking shine.

newbiestill,lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12